Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

My husband is covered in hives He wakes up everyday like

Customer Question
this JA: Have you seen a...
My husband is covered in hives He wakes up everyday like this
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: He went to the doc and is waiting to see an allergiest. Problem is that the appointment isnt for another few days They said not to take any medicine before the appt But today is awful. He is covered and says it is painful
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: About a month. Benardyl makes it better but he cant take it forever It gets worse with scratching
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I dont think so I am so worried He said it hurts I want to go to hospital but he said he can only wait for specialist
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medical
9/5/2016
Doctor: Dr Josh, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor

Myself Dr Josh. and I’m happy to help with your question today.Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern regarding hives of your husband:

What is his age?

Since how long he has these symptoms of hives?

Does he have red rashes/bumps on skin?

Waiting for your reply…

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He is 41.
On and off for about a month but they are gettinf worse with each passing day. Today is he completely covered and it looks awful. Not on his face. Mostly upper body and back. We changed detergents. We changed blankets. We tried everything
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will send you a photo
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Did u get the photo
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can send more if u need.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He hasnt eatten anything out of the ordinary. Not sure what to do
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Are u there?

Dear customer

Thank you for sending the photo.Yes,I have seen it.

Please wait for the detailed answer.It may take upto 1-3 minutes.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok. I can send more pics if it helps

Dear customer

In the mean time,please let me know:

Is any other family member affected with such itching?

Does he itch more at night?

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Just him. Myself and our 2 kids are fine. It seems worse when he wakes up in the morning which is why he thought blanket and sheets but changing detergents to the sensitive one didnt help
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No other family member. The last few days have been pretty bad

Dear customer

Thank you for the quick reply.

Here is your detailed answer

The photo you have sent & the symptoms you have described about your husband having hives on and off for about a month all over the body (except face)is most likely because of a skin disease known as urticaria.A hypersensitivity reaction (similar to an allergy) occurs in the skin, causing inflammation. The inflammation causes the skin to become reddish & itchy.

Another possibility is of scabies but as only he is suffering & you and the other 2 kids are fine,this seems to be the less likely.

As the appointment with allergist,is a few days away & he is having severe itching,following will help him greatly:

• Take tab.Zyrtec.It contains Cetirizine & is a second-generation antihistamine.It is now available over-the-counter (OTC).This will not make him sleepy(like benadryl) & will help him greatly.
  • Apply Calamine lotion.This will reduce his irritation & itching.

This will help him greatly in treating the itching & provide relief & comfort from irritation. He will need physical examination & allergy tests & then accordingly medications will be prescribed by allergist.Till then he can take the above described medications.

Thank you.

Hope this helped.

Is there is anything else that you would like to know.I am happy to address your follow-up questions. Please use the REPLY BUTTON to reply back to me

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Dear customer

Thank you for being online.

I would like to give you further information that he will need following tests:

-Elimination-type tests

-Radioallergosorbent test (RAST)

-Skin biopsy

-Antinuclear antibody(ANA) tests

He need skin allergy tests.Common one are:elimination-type tests.In this the suspected foods are avoided for several weeks and then gradually re-introduced one at a time and he will be observed for signs of an allergic reaction.Radioallergosorbent test (RAST) is a blood test done to see whether there is true allergic reaction.

So my best advise for him is to consult the allergist as per appointment & discuss these tests so as to know the exact underlying cause & then treatment will be done accordingly.Till then he can take the above described medications.It will help him greatly.

If you still have any questions,please let me know..I am happy to address your follow-up questions.

Thank you.

God bless you & take care.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Just checking in to see how things are going. How is your husband's hives now?Has he taken the tab.Zyrtec & applied calamine lotion?Is there anything else that you would like to know?

Please use the REPLY BUTTON to reply back to me.I am happy to help you.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Dear customer,

I have seen that you have not rated my answer so far. Please do rate my answer(3 or more stars).However if you still have any questions,please let me know..I am happy to address your follow-up questions.Also you can ask questions after rating my answer.

Thank you.

God bless you & take care.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Dr Josh
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor