How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Family Physician Your Own Question
Family Physician
Family Physician, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 2592
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Family Physician is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a 70-year old woman. I have severe pain in my rib cage

Customer Question

I am a 70-year old woman. I have severe pain in my rib cage only on the right side. I have had it now for five days. On the first day, I went to the ER. I thought I might have had a heart attack. They ran various tests for five hours---EKG, chest x-ray, blood tests, urine test---all of them were normal. I even had a mammogram several days later. I was unable to see my primary care doctor, but I saw her nurse practitioner. No diagnosis. She said to take Aleve or Advil which I have been doing. The pain started on the right side of the sternum, and now is also below the right breast. It feels like tightness constantly with shooting pain intermittently. I have no other symtoms. What kind of doctor should I see. My primary care doctor has gone on vacation.
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 10 months ago.

Hi there.
Thank you for your question.
I am Dr. SH and will be helping you out with your concerns today.

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 10 months ago.

Is the painful area tender to touch?

Does your pain increase when you breathe deeply or cough?

Please let me know.