Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

General question if I have been taking the following meds at

Customer Question
night to sleep for few...
General question if I have been taking the following meds at night to sleep for few years now. The doctor knows, but saw on the news of taking combination of meds to sleep. Should I be concern in have been doing this for more than 5 years. Should I be talking with the doctor to cut this back? Please do not scare me now. I know of people taking more. I'm almost 63 and only things enlarge prostate some and high blood pressure under control.
Hydroxyzine 25mg Temazepam 15mg Xanax 1 Mg
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medical
9/1/2016
Doctor: Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Anthony Bray, MD

Not that high of dose but I would probably hold off on the last dose of Xanax as you take the temazepam 15mg ...

All 3 cause drowsiness ....

I would not think all 3 were essential

I hope this is helpful for you

Let me know If you have further questions or concerns

I will be happy to get back with you

If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback

Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Last question then should I separate time alittle in be taking them? I have been taking all 3 at same time for a long time. I will talk to the Doctor as to way all 3. Would like to taper off, but know should follow doctors orders as to how. I now Hydoxyxine was to help fall sleep quicker. And Xanax to relax and Tempszrpam help stay asleep. But thank you for your quick answer.

Hello again, Yes I think that it may be reasonable to take the last does of Xanax for anxiety a good 6 hours prior to taking the Temazepam ...

These two are close in class and effect but the Temazepam is more for sleep

The Hydroxyzine is an antihistamine by class and less concern for interaction or respiratory depression

I hope that this is helpful!

Let me know if you have further concerns or discussion.

Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor