How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Ravoof Your Own Question
Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 4278
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Ravoof is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am almost 30 years old and I want to talk about bringing

Customer Question

I am almost 30 years old and I want to talk about bringing up ADD to my doctor. My entire life elementary, middle and high school I had a hard time concentrating/lack of focus. I had low scores on every assignment and test. I was constantly behind and struggled with daily responsibilities because my mind was somewhere else. My mother never brought it up to my pediatrician because she believed it was normal. I never completed college. It has become even worse now that I have been through some traumatic times and now, I cant pay attention at work at all. I am interested in changing my life around for the better by starting college again and possibly moving. I am really hoping my doctor can help me and medication can be an option I try, but how do I approach this concern to my Dr.? I've never told anyone about this due to the fact that I was afraid they would not believe me.
JA: Do you keep personal medical records to help track this?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Hx of anxiety and depression
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 10 months ago.

Dear customer,

It is quite wonderful that you are going to college again, and taking steps in identifying the cause of your lack of focus. This is because many adults with ADHD aren't aware they have it. The way to go about this is making your doctor aware that since childhood you have these symptoms. The past history is definitely helpful and will lead your doctor to prescribe the treatment after diagnosis or your doctor may refer you to a psychiatrist for better management. You don't have to be afraid that your doctor will not believe you. There is no evidence for this (disbelief in your past and present history and complaints) since you have not told your doctor about it yet. Only by telling your doctor your present and past symptoms can your doctor know about it. Also the psychiatrist will be better able to manage your symptoms of anxiety and depression. And I would also recommend a therapist who is experience in Acceptance and Commitment therapy since with this therapy you will be better able to deal with your thoughts and pursue a life in accordance with your values and goals. Mindfulness practice everyday for a few minutes will also be beneficial.

Take care.

Please rate the answer with a positive rating by clicking 5 stars.