Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I have a question that will require a specialist in

Customer Question
Alzheimer's/dementia. Is there anyone available...
I have a question that will require a specialist in Alzheimer's/dementia. Is there anyone available that would be able to help me?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medical
8/29/2016
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 1 year ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

This is Dr. David

what is your question about Alzheimers and dementia?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My mother was diagnosed with Alzheimer's in December 2014 based solely upon a verbal test that was given to her by a nurse practitioner at a kaiser Permanente facility. No other testing of any type, including bloodwork, was performed. To date she has been prescribed one medication only, and that was at my insistence.My understanding is that it is possible for there to be additional contributing factors to her situation, and I need an expert opinion regarding this. Kaiser does not have anyone that specializes in this field.One.
There were numerous occasions that my father mentioned to me that he was concerned my mother was displaying symptoms of early Alzheimer's, and this was during my mothers 60s. She is now 84.Two.
My mother had apparently struggled with some type of genital fungus in the past and had been prescribed and was taking Anastrozole from June 2011 through December 2013. Apparently this medication is something that can affect your memory, and I do wonder if this may have been a contributing factor to her current condition.Three.
My maternal grandmother had some sort of untreated dementia/Alzheimer's at the time of her death. She did, however retain at least a portion of her memory. My mother, sister and I saw her a couple weeks before her death, and although she did drift in and out of reality, she did know who we were and our names.Is this anything that should be looked at, or is the best option to simply ignore it, and as my three siblings are insisting upon… Simply accept the diagnosis of Alzheimer's and let it run its course.Thank you!
Cory
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I do have a request, please. At this point I am requesting an opinion from an actual specialist in this field. I have done everything that I can possibly think of to try and get answers on this myself and have found that there is much speculation concerning this area of dementia, but that without a deep knowledge of this field, that the opinions are simply that…. Speculation. Thank you.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is anyone available at this time?

anastrazole is Arimidex and decreases estrogen levels in the body to help decrease chances for breast cancer recurrence.

it has been well studied and doesn't increase risks for Alzheimer's.

you should request that she see a neurologist for evaluation and get a brain CT or MRI scan as part of the workup.

there is a standard neurological workup which is needed for new onset dementia in patients which include blood work and a brain scan.

Kaiser Permanente tends to try to save money and have nurse practitioners make these diagnosis without complete neurological workups.

what medications has she been started on? Aricept or Namanda for her Alzheimers?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I did request any additional testing that they would do, and they refused to do anything whatsoever… They also refused to refer her outside of Kaiser. I finally did manage to see a neurologist at Kaiser that they claimed was a semi specialist in Alzheimer's, who then gave her another short verbal test, and then declared that she does have Alzheimer's and for her to essentially take two aspirin and call him in the morning. He refused to give her any type of medication at all, and I finally convinced another position to prescribe what she is taking now… Which I don't remember the name of. LOL
While you read that I'm going to get on to her patient portal and look at the name of the medication, and I'll be right back.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Donepezil
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Aricept. Same thing?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Also, do you have any suggestions whatsoever as to what I might say to my siblings that could convince them of the need for additional testing for our mother's condition?

yes, Aricpet is donepezil

there are many medical conditions which can cause dementia and alzheimers dementia in patients

some conditions can be treated and reversed.

Alzheimer disease is a clinical diagnosis. However, ancillary imaging studies (eg, computed tomography [CT]; magnetic resonance imaging [MRI]; and, in selected cases, single-photon emission CT [SPECT] or positron emission tomography [PET]) and laboratory tests may be used. These tests help exclude other possible causes for dementia (eg, cerebrovascular disease, cobalamin [vitamin B12] deficiency, syphilis, thyroid disease).

so she should get a brain scan and blood test to check for thyroid problems and syphilis and stroke issues.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you very much, and I will certainly be happy to give you an extremely positive rating for your assistance in this matter!

you are welcome

best of luck to you and your mother.

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Dr. David, Board Certified Physician