Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

My ears feel like I'm underwater - have had a couple days-

Customer Question
tonight the back of my...
My ears feel like I'm underwater - have had a couple days- tonight the back of my neck hurts - I'm concerned
JA: How long have you been dealing with the neck pain? Are you experiencing any numbness or tingling?
Customer: Just since this afternoon - around 4 hours now - a little tingling in my left hand
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I'm diabetic , on meds for that
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medical
8/26/2016
Doctor: Dr Josh, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor

Myself Dr Josh- and I’m happy to help with your question today.

Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern-

Do you work on computer for long hours?

Does pain/ numbness from neck radiates towards arm?

Shortness of breath?

Do you suffer from anxiety or severe stress?

Waiting for your reply…

Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No to all

Dear,

Thanks for all these additional details.

I can understand your concern.

Having pain in back of neck along with numbness in left hand could be related with-

Cervical Radiculopathy (Pinched Nerve).

It can come after sleep and due to improper posture.

You need to apply ice packs on cervical spine for 10-15 minutes and it can be done 3-4 times a day. You should take Motrin 400mg twice a day.
You should take adequate rest, and remain away from lifting any heavy objects. You should not work on computer for more than half an hour in a single stretch.
You can use Soft Collars, as it allows the muscles of the neck to rest and limit neck motion. Physical therapy will also be helpful.
Hot fomentation will also be helpful.

If symptoms doesn't improves, then some physicians do give oral steroids in severe radiculopathy cases.

A short course of oral corticosteroids may also help reduce swelling, as well as pain.Usually Physical therapy is very helpful.

Ear related issue, is a different condition and is not related with above condition.

This can be due to to allergies or a cold. And usually they are mild, and a temporary problem .
The reason for plugged ear is- Obstruction in the eustachian tubes. Eustachian tube lies in between your middle ears and the back of your nose.

You need to be given treatment for plugged ears. The line of treatment is-

Nasal spray antihistamines- Azelastine (Rhinolast nasal spray).
Topical nasal steroids- Flonase
Oral decongestants- - Sudafed 120 mg once daily(OTC) .

Another important home treatment is Menthol steam inhalation - add Menthol salts (available OTC) to a bowl of steaming water and inhale the steam two - three times daily - this will relieve the symptoms.

Your symptoms would get resolve with above measures.

Hope this helped.

If there is anything else that you would like to know.I am happy to address your follow-up questions. Please use the REPLY BUTTON to reply back to me

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the feeling like my ears are under water are not related tone K pain ?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
To neck pain

Dear,

Thanks for asking follow up question.

Such symptoms in ears, are not related with neck pain.

Both of these are separate issue and have to be treated differently.

I would also make clear that it is not a serious issue and can be managed with medications and measures, as advised in previous post.

Your ear related symptoms would get resolve with above measures.

Hope this helped.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Dr Josh
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor