Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

I have ben having left temple discomfort for several months.

Customer Question

Hello. I have ben having left temple discomfort for several months. It fees vascular. When I cough, yell, or strain, I feel pressure in the left temple. Sometimes I also have mild pain (very mild) that radiates down the left side of my head, almost linear. I am getting concerned. I am otherwise healthy 49 year old female. Any thoughts?
JA: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?
Customer: No nausea or other symptoms. The discomfort subsided for several weeks, but has recently returned.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I treat for high blood pressure and high cholesterol. I am active. I am in decent shape. Non smoker. Otherwise healthy. Blood pressure and cholesterol under control.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 11 months ago.

This is Dr. David

vascular temple pain can be from giant cell arteritis inflammation of the artery or veins in your temple area.

you would need to see a doctor or rheumatology expert to get a biopsy of one of these blood vessels in your temple area

that would be able to show blood vessel inflammation which could be causing your pain there .

there are blood tests which can look for inflammation in your body as well such as ESR or C reactive protein

steroid medications can often calm down inflammation in these vessels which could help.

do you have a doctor you can see for these tests?