Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

I live in Florida and I was but this weekend by mosquito at

Customer Question

I live in Florida and I was but this weekend by mosquito at the beach. I worry now about the whole Zika virus thing
I am a 29 years old adult and healthy and not pregnant
I do not plan on getting pregnant now this year
Is it needed to get tested for Zika when you get a mosquito bite?
Because my understanding is there is no treatment anyhow and most adults dont even have symptoms
I have some symptoms now but they are not really related- yesterday I had once diarrhea, and last night I had a sore throat for a while but no fever or other issues
Like a little congestion
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 11 months ago.

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Well getting bit by a mosquito does NOT mean that you have been infected with the Zika virus. Just like getting bit a mosquito doesnt guarantee that you will get malaria or dengue fever or any other mosquito borne illness. Secondly if you have zika virus, you would have developed symptoms associated with it (atleast 30-50% of patients develop symptoms consistent with a viral infection) such as,

• Fever.
  • Rash.
  • Joint pain.
  • Conjunctivitis (red eyes)
  • Muscle pain.
  • Headache.
  • Pain behind the eyes.
  • Vomiting.

Now in case you have been infected with the zika virus, you are in no danger, the major side effect of zika virus is to unborn babies who can develop birth defects. Adults completley recover from the illness and are in NO danger of developing any serious issues. Since you are nit pregnant i think you have nothing to be worried about whatsoever.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you to know anything else? If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.