Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

I just pulled my lower back while bending over. My lower

Customer Question

I just pulled my lower back while bending over. My lower back has been feeling a little sore the past week or so. What should I do to relieve the pain? It has limited me some of my movement without causing pain.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 11 months ago.

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Now from what you are describing it sounds like there can be two problems here. The first one is that you could have pulled a muscle in the back, muscle spasms are common after this sort of movement. Usually they occur due to deydration or even electrolyte imbalances, if this is the case then simply drinking increased amounts of water along with electrolyte rich fluids would help a lot in alleviating the pain. If that doesnt help then you can use OTC motrin or aleve for the pain. If that doesnt help try applying topical OTC voltaren gel to the area. Finally if none of these help then you would need an xray and a MRI of the lower back to see if there is a slipped disc which is compressing on the nerves or the cord in the back. if this is the case then you would usually have pain radiating into the legs, numbness in the legs or even urinary symptoms like incontinence. Now finally if the pain isnt relieved apart from getting a MRI you would also need to have your doctor prescribe you muscle relaxants like flexeril or tinazidine.

So for now i would suggest that you try the other remedies which i have mentioned above and use the OTC therapy, if that doesnt work then see your doctor for the other options.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you to know anything else? If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.