Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I had a question regarding my health. Two weeks ago on

Customer Question
Hi! My name is *****...
Hi! My name is ***** ***** I had a question regarding my health. Two weeks ago on August 5, 2016, my fiance got arrested for assault and battery, for pushing me. I got abrasions on both of my knees. They started bleeding and it was a painful experience! My question is, since I fell as a result, on the pavement, I was terrified that, not only would I get infections on my knees, but that I'd get dirt and gravel up into my bloodstream and cause MORE problems/damage! Like I would get an aneurysm from it (the results of my injuries)! Plwase help, I saw a doctor, but I didn't really trust his opinion because he was old and seemed incompetent because he was a walk-in doctor! Please help ease my mind about this issue. : - ( The legal size of it is being taken cared of and my wounds have now healed and formed dark brown scabs/scars, but I need my sanity and peace of mind back in terms of this issue. Thank you!
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medical
8/18/2016
Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer.

I am sorry that you sustained an injury from the assault and battery.

There is no risk of dirt or gravel being able to get into your blood stream from such an injury. The only way that dirt or gravel would be able to get into your blood stream would be if the injury involved much larger veins, and this would not happen from an injury that causes an abrasion of the skin and soft tissue overlying the knees.

Having dirt or gravel in the wound of the skin can increase the risk of infection. And if the abrasion becomes secondarily infected, the germ can spread into the blood stream. But that is why it is important to clean any such wound carefully.

In this case, your description of the healing would indicate that it is not getting infected, and the primary time that it could get infected would be the first week after the injury.

From your description, there is no reason for you to be concerned about any adverse consequences of this injury beyond the effect on the skin and soft tissue.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Wow thank you!! Thank you so very very much! I HATED my perpetrator for doing this! It was really hard to forgive him!As far as my injuries go, I have not gotten a tetanus shot since 2001. I am 32. I had poured hydrogen peroxide on them to help them from getting infected and wrapped them in bandages up until now to help them heal. I had put tiny amounts of neosporin on them only once.

The wound care that you have done is fine. This wound is not a risky wound for tetanus, but since it has been over a decade since your last tetanus shot, you are due for another tetanus shot.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I blew on them as well if that helped. ...Thank you again Dr. Love for your very helpful and insightful answer! Good luck with you and yours as well as God bless you! Please have a wonderful day!

Air flow across a wound may be soothing, but it does not really promote or accelerate healing. We typically do not advocate blowing on a wound, but it is more that there is a concern that if you were close enough to the wound, you may get saliva in the wound, and that could be an issue. If you are intentionally doing it from a distance and you find it soothing, then it is fine.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor