Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Are supplements for gout effective?

Customer Question
Are supplements for gout effective?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medical
8/18/2016
Doctor: Dr Josh, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor

Myself Dr Josh. and I’m happy to help with your question today.

Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern regarding supplements for gout:

Since how long are you diagnosed with gout?

Can you name the supplement you are taking?

I am waiting for your reply…

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Dear customer

Thank you for coming back online.

There are various over the counter supplements available for gout but there is no credible medical evidence that the supplements are safe, effective, and perform the way they claim.

Common supplements for gout are:​

• Omega-3 fatty acids
  • N-acetyl cysteine
  • Inositol hexophosphonate (IP-6)
  • Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM)

There are herbal supplements that have been found to effectively reduce inflammation including devil's claw, bromelain, and turmeric.But there is no scientific proof and any authentic medical research done on ways these work.

The treatment of gout includes:pain relievers such as acetaminophen/Tylenol or other more potent analgesics,anti-inflammatory agents such as nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs (NSAIDS), colchicine, and corticosteroids are used to decrease joint inflammation.Mmedications to decrease uric acid blood levels like probenecid (benemid) and sulfinpyrazone (anturane). These medications are prescribed by your doctor for the treatment of gout.

So bot***** *****ne is although supplements are generally safe but there is no scientific proof about their effectiveness in general.Consult your doctor before taking any supplements & take the regular treatment as prescribed by your doctor.

Hope this helped.

If there is anything else that you would like to know.I am happy to address your follow-up questions. Please use the REPLY BUTTON to reply back to me

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Just checking in to see how things are going. Do you need further assistance?Is there anything else that you would like to know?

You are still open to ask.Please use the REPLY BUTTON to reply back to me.I am happy to hep you.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Dr Josh
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor