Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Blood work High RDW: 16.3 (high) Hemaglobin: 9.7 (low) MCV:

Customer Question
Blood work High RDW: 16.3 (high) Hemaglobin...
Blood work
High RDW: 16.3 (high)
Hemaglobin: 9.7 (low)
MCV: 81 (within range)
Iron Serum: 17 ug (low) (27-159)
Iron Saturation: 5% (low) (15-55)
Ferretin Serum: 4 ng (low) 15-150
TIBC: fine
I run, and am a 38 year old woman. I do not smoke.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medical
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Why is my RDW high, and all other iron levels low?
8/17/2016
Doctor: Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Anthony Bray, MD

You have iron deficiency anemia . The low hemoglobin is main indicator of this . Iron deficiency anemia may be cau ed by some type blood loss. Heavy menstrual cycles could be a culprit . often we may find long term occult GI bleeding and you should be checked for that . The RDW is red cell distribution width ...this means that you have a mix in the size of you red blood cells . The normal range MCV plus high RDW might reflect a mixed type anemia ... This may indicate a folate or B12 deficiency at the same time...

The high RDW is not as such any "good finding " that is not what that means ..

I hope that this information is helpful for you

Let me know if you have further questions or concerns

I will be happy to get back with you

If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback

Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My B-12 levels are fine, the doctor prescribed iron pills and vitamin C. Have a GI appointment in October. If I was bleeding internally, do you know how that could be potentially happening; excluding menstruation? I do feel some discomfort under my right rip. They did an ultrasound and everything was supposedly fine. It may be due to posture, but not sure.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Right rib

Hello again,

GI bleeding can be from a number of possible sources ..ulcers of stomach or duodenum -- AV malformation such in colon -- divertuculi within colon may bleed -- inflammation of colon wall ( colitis ) can be culprit -- some GI cancer is on the list but less likely at your age ....

Let me know if you have further questions

Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your help!

You are very welcome!

Take Care!

Anthony Bray MD

Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor