Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Had catscan. Shows mild centrilobular emphysema and fatty

Customer Question

Had catscan. Shows mild centrilobular emphysema and fatty liver metamorphosis and chronic sinus. Ive had two sinus surgeries and shows cyst in sphenoid and maxillary sinus. The er doc only told me about seeibg an ent. Why did he not mention the other two. Worried any ideas
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

It is impossible to know with certainty why the doctor did not mention the other findings, but I can theorize that he did not comment upon these findings either because they were mild or if they were not causing any problems or significant symptoms.

Are you having any shortness of breath?

Do you smoke or drink alcohol?

Were any liver blood tests done?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I smoke yes. My liver enzymes were high but didnt suggest anything for the mild emphysema or liver.

If you are not having any shortness of breath, then there is nothing that would be done for mild emphysema of any pattern other than quitting smoking.

There is no direct treatment for fatty infiltration of the liver. If the liver enzymes are elevated then it would be appropriate to consider interventions for the conditions that contribute to the fatty infiltration of the liver. If you have regular alcohol intake, then the first intervention would be stopping alcohol intake, or at least significantly reducing alcohol intake. If there is no regular alcohol intake, then it would be appropriate to lower blood lipids. Certainly, eating a low-fat diet and getting regular aerobic exercise is important, but it also would be appropriate to check blood lipid levels and consider whether medicines would also be appropriate.

I do not know why the ER doctor did not mention these interventions.

Please let me know if I can provide any further information.