How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DrRussMD Your Own Question
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 64938
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
DrRussMD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have what a foreign doctor called a "belly button"

Customer Question

I have what a foreign doctor called a "belly button" hernia--it goes from my navel to just below my sternum. No pain, but it affects my ability to do abdominal crunches and looks like a vertical ridge when I exercise.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.


thanks for the question.

This is called diastasis recti

It is a separation fright in the middle of the abdominal muscles.

IT is often accompanied by a belly button hernia, umbilical hernia.

Both can be repaired surgically, a fairly easy procedure, but usually they are left alone.

You did not ask a specific question, so let me now if you have more.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. Also, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent (5)—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, just use reply and come back. I am here