Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

On June 13th I had risky sex. Approximately a few days or

Customer Question
Hello. On June 13th...
Hello. On June 13th I had risky sex. Approximately a few days or so...maybe 5 days at the most, I started feeling slightly sick and ran a fever of 100. This lasted for one day. I went to my doctor and was Xrayed and told I had bronchitis. They gave me medication for it. About a week later I started having a pain in my throat, actually down in my esophagus, and I started having neck pain. I went to an ear, nose and throat doctor who said there was nothing he could find or see. Then exactly one month after June 13th I took the Oraquick oral hiv test and it came back negative. The only symptoms are my throat/esophogus and neck pain, and I can't tell for sure if its just a tightness in throat and a sore throat also but it does not feel sore. It sometimes feels like a lump is down in my esophagus when I swallow. I have no rash, no vomiting or diarehha, no sore lymph nodes, no night sweats. I might also add that I've been diagnosed in the past with a bad acid back up problem related to GERD. I also stay moderately to extremely stressed. I know you're going to advise me to take another test, but from the facts I've given and the test I took, will you tell me your opinion if you think I might be infected and the chances of another test coming back negative. Thank you.
JA: How long have you had the symptoms? Do you have a fever?
Customer: I"ve had them for approximately a month to a month and a half. No fever at all.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medical
8/11/2016
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Thanks for this question and im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Now from what you are describing it does not seem likely that you have HIV, the reason being that you dont have all of the symptoms which are commonly associated with an acute HIV infection, you have no lymph nodes which are classically present in most cases, not even the rash. It is very likely that you had a simple viral infection which settled down however the current pain is most likely to be due to the GERD problem which you have had in the past. The lump in the throat is likely to be due to inflammation of the lining of the oesophagus which can be due to the acid coming back up into it. Stress can worsen these symptoms significantly, and i would suggest that you start using OTC prilosec 20 mg which should help with these symptoms.

Now as far as the HIV test is concerned, since the oraquick test came back as negative after 1 month, it is almost 99% likely that 4th generation HIV test will be negative as well. Simply because the 4th generation test detects both antigen and antibodies whereas the oraquick test detects the antibodies, which usually would be present after 4 weeks of exposure. But i think you should have the test done anyway as that will relieve your anxiety and can completely rule out HIV as a cause for your symptoms. Also do get your doctor to consider doing an endoscopy if the prilosec doesnt help with the symptoms.

Do you have any more questions?

I hope I have been helpful and this answers your query. Please remember to assign a POSITIVE/EXCELLENT feedback rating by clicking on the stars, so JA will compensate me for my time. You are free to ask follow-up questions thereafter at no charge although any bonuses would be appreciated. Please allow up to 24 hours for a follow-up response if I am signed off.

Would you to know anything else? If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor