Dr.Anil
Dr.Anil, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.
4713694

A few days ago I noticed I had a slight rasp in my breathing

Customer Question

A few days ago I noticed I had a slight rasp in my breathing at night. The next day and a few times since I have coughed up a very small amount of phlegm, but noticed it had a small amount of blood in it (yellowish phlegm as I have seen many times when sick). This time I haven't really felt sick, just the slight rasping when breathing and the phlegm with small amount of blood in the morning (very small). About 5 days ago I stayed up late drinking with some family and was kind of hung over for the next day or so. A few days before that I moved about 6 states to the west and the day I arrived (after 3 days on the road, skipping a shower or two) I unpacked a 26 foot truck in 101 degree heat after having skipped lunch and being very dehydrated all day (I also take blood pressure medicine).Do you think this blood in the phlegm could be a sign of lung cancer?About a year ago I went to the doctor with a very very slight "pop" when I exhale laying down at night. The doctor did X-rays (then and also a few months later), a CT scan of my chest and around the same time I had an upper endoscopy to check out my stomach (I have acid reflux) and they found nothing in any of those tests of concern. The blood in phlegm is really creeping me out. I had a bad flu or cold last year and noticed it then (with a lot more phlegm), but it went away completely after the usual course. Having moved, I haven't yet gotten a new doctor. I plan to very soon and get an appointment, but these symptoms are freaking me out at the moment.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.Anil replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for your question.
Myself Doctor Anil- a board certified medical consultant with more than 30 years of experience in medical field.
I’d be happy to assist you.

What is your age?

History of smoking intake?

Sore throat,stuffy nose?

Constant throat irritation and clearing?

Nausea?

Do you have blood in phlegm one episode or recurrent episodes in morning?

Are you currently taking any medications?

Chest tightness,heaviness in chest,fever?

Thanks.

Waiting for your response.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the quick response. I am 38. Never smoked. Just started very mild sore throat today and a very mild runny nose today (this is my second or third day of these symptoms, 4th day since the drinking evening). No nausea. Blood in phlegm (just streaked in the yellow phlegm) about 3 times so far. No chest tightness. Taking amlodipine, losartan, hydroxyzine, moneklast, pantoprazole, arnuity inhaler and Flonase nasal spray (but missed the arnuity and nasal spray for a few days while moving). What do you think?
Expert:  Dr.Anil replied 1 year ago.

I understand your concern.

Small amounts of blood can be okay. They are often caused either by an irritation or a small tear that occurs with the force, or possibly from a sinusitis with irritation and bleeding that has dripped down the throat.

Other possible cause may include it can come from mouth or gum,infection.

Chances of cancer are very less.

You should do saline gargles and menthol steam inhalation.

Use a humidifier in your room.

Also hydrate yourself with plenty of fluids.

You should try betadine oral gargles or rinse to relieve any inflammation in throat.

If your symptoms'll persist more than a week then see your doctor for a clinical examination for further evaluation and management.

Let me know if you have any further query so we can discuss it thoroughly in every aspect.
It’s my pleasure to continue this conversation until you satisfy.
May I help you further?
Please to not forget a positive rating and avoid poor/bad rating.
Bonus is highly appreciated.
Waiting for your response.
Thanks.