How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Uzair Your Own Question
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 8077
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr Uzair is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What are the effects of carbon monoxide exposure?

Customer Question

I was exposed to low level carbon monoxide for about 10 days. My doctor is treating me for anxiety. I have sleep difficulty and PTSD. I need to know if carbon monoxide would cause long term effects and how to treat it?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome.

If you are exposed to carbonmonoxide for 10 days only then you are most likely suffer from effects which include

dizziness, headaches, nausea, light-headedness, sleepiness, difficulty concentrating and memory problems, as well as changes in mood. Long term effects after chronic exposure are memory loss, vision, behavioral and cognitive dysfunction.

Treatment of acute condition involves hyperbaric oxygen and in chronic exposure treatment of complications are symptomatic that is treatment is given according to presenting symptom.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I seem to have developed a temor in my arms, and have weird sleeping pattern since. is that cause for neurological concern?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.

It may or may not be due to carbon monoxide poisoning, since, anxiety can also cause tremors and a change in sleeping patterns. Long term side effects are not seen with your level of exposure and as long as the exposure has been discontinued, so do not worry. You can visit your PCP and share your concerns.