How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. D. Love Your Own Question
Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 18451
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. D. Love is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I cannot pay any money today but my husband is BiPolarI and

Customer Question

I cannot pay any money today but my husband is BiPolarI and has been manic since June. He moved out and is now actively homosexual he is 42 years old he is a stranger when we he come down will he realize what he has actually done. he hears voices and sees his father very often at his bed side looking very angry
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: He has been hospitalized twice during winter months he does not stay on his mood stabilizers because he says he loves the mania and life is too boring with his meds
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: Lisinopril Prilosec Buspar
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: My husband is BiPolar I has been manic since summer began moved out and is sleeping with other men very often we have been together 18 years and we were happy until this
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Medical
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It has been more than 8 minutes do I need a different expert
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 11 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

There are limits to what a family member can do to help someone that does not want help. If he is acutely dangerous to himself or others, then they can be forced to receive appropriate care. The method for enforcing that care varies from one state to another. However, if he has a mental health condition that is not causing them to be acutely dangerous to himself or others, the most that you can do is to encourage him to seek care and to be supportive.

It also would be reasonable for you to set limits and expectations if you are going to continue in the relationship, but that leverage can be limited if he has moved out. This leverage can be more applied if he wants to resume the relationship in the future.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.

Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 11 months ago.

You asked if he will return to his senses.

It is impossible to predict whether he will improve. The majority of people respond well to treatment, but if he refuses treatment, it cannot be said how he will do long-term.