Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

What if i take a viral load and antibody test at 7 weeks. If

the antibody test comes out...
What if i take a viral load and antibody test at 7 weeks. If the antibody test comes out false negative would there still be a high enough viral load to show up on the viral load test. Both rest are blood drawn and from what i know the antibody test was a 4th gen.
8/4/2016
Anthony Bray, MD

Hello!

If you had a GEN 4 HIV test and a viral load (PCR test ) for HIV then this combination actually tests you by 3 separate methods ..

7 weeks is well beyond the needed Windows for these tests to be sensitive ..

If these were NEGATIVE then you may relax at this point ..

You would not need further testing for the exposure in question 7 weeks ago ...

These tests if negative are reliable ..most definitely to that

The viral load test looks for copies of the viral DNA code ...

The GEN 4 tests by ELISA method for antibodies against HIV and also tests for antigen ( a protein component of the HIV virus )

So these 2 tests are actually testing by a total of three methods ..

You are not going to see false negatives to all three ....

I hope that this information is helpful for you

Let me know if you have further questions or concerns

I will be happy to get back with you

If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback

Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
that comfirming that all were negative i can be at ease that im 100% hiv free?

Hello again,

Yes if these tests were NEGATIVE then you are NEGATIVE with 100 percent certainty ..

No need to test any further ...matter is settled ...

Best regards...

Anthony Bray MD

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Last question So if anything there should always be a high enough viral load at 7 weeks if the other test is false negative?

Hello again ,

Yes it does not take a very high level of virus to get detection ...

The test amplifies the DNA present ....

It is a sensitive test....

It has reliable window at even 11 days ...earliest of any test ...

Let me know if you have further questions or discussion

Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Usually how long does it take for there to be 1000 copies for it to be detected? And if not on any medication for the medicine it shouldnt decrease copies on its own, am i correct?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
For the virus*

Hello again....

Yes on point of no medication to suppress then it would be detected ...

Medication to suppress HIV could suppress result for test ...

It takes only 11 days and some resources give more conservative 2 weeks as to being RELIABLE as to CONFIRM if infection is present it will detect it

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no way no how with all 3 test being neg. because ive heard its its only conclusive at 3 months and close to 100 reliable at 6 months. Why is was i able to get a 100 percent so soon?

Hello again,

The 3 month being conclusive that you have heard about ONLY applies to the ELISA HIV antibody test ...it has been found that some people with compromised immune systems can take longer to develop an antibody response to HIV ...( that is itself a small fraction )

The GEN 4 HIV test itself is more reliable as it checks for BOTH antibody and antigen ( sort of look at that as no players on the field = no ballgame at all....)

The viral load test uses yet a third method to detect the virus independent of methods 1 and 2 ...

So yes at 7 weeks it is impossible to have contracted HIV / not be on treatment / and all three test types be falsely negative ...

That is not going to be the case ...

I hope that this is helpful for you

Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
But can looking for antigen if a person is hiv+ would there be any possible way it wouldnt show up at 7 weeks?

Hello again,

If your blood has no HIV antigen and no viral DNA and no antibodies then you DO NOT HAVE HIV ...

It can't be defined or detected with any possible better certainty than the combination of tests that you have had done

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
its impossible and not improbable that i dont have it. Im sorry for asking so many questions but its because of my anxiety i been having over this matter because i thought i would need to wait 4 more months for the 6 months mark. And if thr viral load is able to be detected earlier than whats the point of doing the antibody test?

Hello again ,

The antibody test has been available the longest ...

It itself has been improved from years earlier ...

The test of the combination of methods as you have had done serve to support the others potential weakness...

If you had strong immune response then you may have relatively higher antibody response but less antigen present ...( less virus actually present ) If you had WEAK immune response then that could lead to delay in antibodies being found but in that case virus would be more prevalent and antigens ( HIV Proteins ) would be higher ...

( I compare this to a football team -- at any point you are either going to have your offense or defense on the field )

The viral load test could be suppressed by treatment but if you should be infected then that would otherwise be positive ...

So as many people are with HIV they don't trust a test ...so you have already been tested. 3 times --- and it is negative / negative / negative ...

So it is as reliable as is possible ...

It is already overkill but I hope that this helps to explain the reasoning behnd it ...

Let me know if I may be of further help

Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ur saying if there are antibodies present but not enough to show up on the antibody test that can still suppress the viral load to not show on the antibody test, but if that is the case there would still be enough viral load to always be high enough to show up on the viral
Load test? Is that what your saying?

Hello again,

The viral load would not be suppressed to non- detectable by the immune response ...it could be suppressed by HIV anti-viral drugs however ...

The antibody test would remain positive in such a case ...

It is true that realistically the viral load test alone would be sufficient

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
theres no chance a antibody would suppress the viral load in anyway? Im just a lil confuse on why a antibody would be taken then if the viral load would be thay accurate
Hello again,
It is perfectly acceptable to just have a viral load ( = PCR test ) done after 11 to 14 days ( anytime after this is fine ) that is accurate and reliableIt is perfectly fine and acceptable and accurate to have a Gen 4 test done after 30 days ...
That also is accurate and reliableSo either path is fine ...People always question the results so yes doctors frequently apply overkill testingThat is done as in your caseIt is not any question as to your negative result ....2 seprate battery of tests donePath A double checks Path BNo it is not essential that this is done ...no to that ...Either way of testing alone would have been itself reliable ....
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
But i thought antibody test would be only about 97% at 7 weeks and i also want to know when viral load is high enough for it to show up. The main concern is 7 weeks is there 100% enough viral load to show up on the test if the person is infected?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
also there would be no way no how 100% sure that the test is final at 7 weeks and wont change unless i get involve in risk behavior?
Hello again ,
Yes at 7 weeks an infected person would definitely have viral load enough to be detected...
The antibody alone is where you have the degree of question....the GEN 4 uses combination of antigen PLUS antibody for that reason ....
The test result you have at 7 weeks could not change unless you were exposed later --- that is right ----
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no way no how without health isssue or medication would suppress the viral load on its own for it to be less than 1000 copies to not be detected? And if so what health issues and medicine would suppress it and how would i know if i have any health issues that would cause it to supress without it being detected with the viral load?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I just am confused i asked a other doctor the same wuestion about 4gen and viral load test and he tells me its not 100%
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
at 7 weeks an infected person would definitely have viral load enough to be detected...
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thats what he told me
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
plz help
Me get some clearity

You are NEGATIVE ....

You will remain negative unless you have some new exposure to HIV ...

You had two independent and reliable tests that proved you negative ...

The only thing possible to do would be to repeat tests but I assure you that that is pointless ....

You can find doctors whom will tell you to repeat test after 3 months and after 6 months but that is outdated advice ....

I hope that this is helpful for you

I will be happy to get back with you

Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Anthony Bray, MD
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you doctor. Im hurting right now from anxiety for so long. Hearing from u helps alot. You may be one of my life savers
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I mean that literally

Thank you !

Hang in there ...

Many people carry great anxiety when it comes to their health ...

Yes and people do get very upset when worrying about this HIV testing ....

So I understand where you are coming from...

Take Care !!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you again. I think i have a psychological problem. Even hearing good news from u it helps but my brain sometimes its hard to accept things no matter how hard i try. I even turn to prayer and ive never been really close to god and i know as selfish that it sounds this helps my faith become stronger and allow me to connect with him more
Well it is good that you look to put positive spin on the stress ...if it helps you in a spiritual sense then that I see that as a good thing ... As to your testing it is solid negative ...I know the WORRY factor is overwhelming ...Take Care --- let me know if I may be of further help
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi id like to ask when getting blood drawn for labs do they test the sample more than once just to make sure or is it just a one time thing? Im curious because i want to know there isnt any error in my testing

Hello again,

Each component of your test would be run one time but as we discussed the test that you had done is actually three independent tests .. it is automatically run therefore by three tests .. each component is one run however....

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
is there any chance just the viral load could wrong by any variables? Or the results u see is what you get? Like someone taking the test for u messes it up.

Hello again,

Well I think that you are letting paranoia and fear get the better of you here...

In a sense... . sure anything is possible I suppose .. some tech may have thrown away your sample and reported negative results but if you get into that degree of distrust then why have any testing at all ?? You would not worry if it were your cholesterol results.. why is this different ??

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If that case happens would it be monitored by someone or something to make sure that doesnt happen?

Hello again,

You have nothing to worry about!!

Your tests results were fine!

Why do seem to have such a difficult time in accepting good news??

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Idk i just want to make sure that nothing can go wrong with my results... If that that did happen would someone else know?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
In that circumstance would someone else know that my tests could been mixed up or thrown away?

There are quality control measures set in place > YES to that .. if something happens to a specimen we just get notified that the sample needs to be redrawn.. that is all..

You have had your test sent in three separate directions for testing is part of my point.. it is practically impossible for all three of the tests to be wrong or messed up in any way...

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What types of quality control measures? So there is no way my test could be mixed up
With someone else's?

Hello again,

All phases of test collection and methods are checked and rechecked ...

The equiment has to be run with sample tests positive and negatives on a regular basis ...

All phases of the process are monitored for quality control ...

You got results back in your name for the right tests ordered -- right ?? Right date/ right person/ right tests ordered ...

These presumably would indicate a lack of mix up as say to name for example ....

I hope that this is helpful for you ...

Best regards...

Anthony Bray MD

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
on the sample tubes shpuld always have my name and information on it to avoid mix up is that correct?

Yes that is right !! You really do NOT need to keep worrying over this !!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
why would u say that there coild be a chance that they threw my sample away and but neg? If they did this someone would else would know and that person job is on the line right?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is there usually someone or something making sure they do their job right?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Im sorry i just want peace of mind
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I been having anxiety for over a week now

You are making something out of nothing is MY POINT ---

I might say something that to me is ludicrous such as "kick a ball to the moon " but I do not intend for you to take that in a serious way !!

My point was that I'd the tests were more of a routine nature to you such as cholesterol then you would not worry about it as you are now ....

If the tests were of a more routine nature I meant to say....

I'm sorry that I may have said anything that may have increased your anxiety ..that was not my intent !!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
But is there something or someone that insures that the lab tech is doing their right instead of being lazy and not testing and giving me a false result?

A lab person would get fired for falsifying any result ...

Not an error such as a broken vial /// a boken vial would lead to a call back and note to redraw a sample ....

Yes these labs have very good structure and management and quality control ...

Poor QC will destroy a lab if that is compromised ....

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
But what insures that they r doing their job right?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thats what i really want to know. Just in case a person is lazy and dont do the test right. How can i be sure that everything was done right? Who or what is monitoring it to make sure the lab tech doesnt screw up with my test?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
While they are doing my samples...
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Im sorry i just need more clarification
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I know im thinking way too much into it but i can help it so plz help
Me a little more

Hello again,

Yes I think that you are over-thinking this ...

I can't detail you on all aspects of labs quality control but a person working in the lab has to have the right background of education and training / they are going to receive specific training of their job before they start / they would work under a supervisor whom also has managment above

The CLIA certification requires a lab to be given test samples ( they can't tell the difference vs any other ) and the testing would include both negative , low level positive and high level positive tests ...

There are multiple layers of these checks and safeguards ...

So your results are indeed RELIABLE ...of this I am confident !!

I wish to allay your fears as best that I can ..

Let me know if you have remaining questions ..

Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks

You're very welcome

Take Care!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I pray to god for acceptance

Your results are fine ...

You have this health anxiety though ....

That is common...

You will get past it though...

Hang in there !

Best regards!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I remind myself i will be all
Right, have positive thoughts and pray

Yes that is good >>> stay positive ! I agree ...

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks again and im not gonna give up. U helped alot

You're very welcome ...I hope that I have been helpful ...

Let me know if you have further concerns ..

Take Care ...

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It will
Get better over time as long as i stay positive right?
your worry will settle down ...my goodness you have good reassuring results ...time to celebrate ...not worry !!
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Again u were just joking about the lab tech throwing samples away right? That wouldnt happen right?
That was me just trying to make a point but my intent backfired ....I didn't mean to give you all the more anxiety ....not my intent at all.....
But right that is not going to happen .....
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok so u just meant u suppose it could happen but it wont. And ir point was just letting me know why i went and took the test if i didnt trust it. Is that what u meant?
Hello again ,
Yes in the theoretical sense we could suppose I guess ANYTHING COULD happen but REALISTICALLY such gross negligence is NOT EXPECTED AT ALL ----
I was trying to make a point tgat you would not think twice about a routine type test such as a cholesterol test ....you would not have question as to the reliability of the test ......
It is that the test is for HIV that you carry too much fear that your results are such that you question the result ....
It is certainly NOT that labs are less careful with HIV testing --- quite the opposite ....lab techs handle these with great care ....
I hope that this is helpful for you
Best regards----
Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor