How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DrRussMD Your Own Question
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 64954
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
DrRussMD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What type of Dr should I see for pain & discomfort in my

Customer Question

What type of Dr should I see for pain & discomfort in my pelvic and hip area ?
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: nothing makes it worse, just feels like a ligament or muscle sprain. Pain has been there 6 months. Just agrravating
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.


And welcome.

and welcome.

I am Doctor Thomas, a double board certified doctor in internal medicine and integrative medicine, with advanced training in several other fields. I am a clinician of over 20 years experience. I will give you an initial answer or ask you a question, but be sure to use reply to expert to communicate with me as needed.

If it is muscular, skeletal pain, then the best doctor to see is a specialist in physical medicine.

They are called physical medicine and rehabilitation doctors or physiatrists.

If this is not clearly structural, your internal medicine doctor or family practice doctor can screen you for referral.

You do not need a referral necessarily.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. Also, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent (5)—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, just use reply and come back. I am here

Expert:  Nadim Al-Mubarak replied 1 year ago.


  • Pain or discomfort in the pelvic area could have numerous potential sources, including skeletal, rectal, genital, nerves etc. a long list
  • The most cost and time effective way to resolve this, is to start with you family doctor who can performed the initial assessment and possible initial testing and could also just resolve your issue. If needed, he/she would be the best person to direct you to the right specialist according to his/her assessment. Certainly, the physical rehab specialist is the wrong doctor to go to at this stage. It could be very well be waste of your time

Best wishes

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.


In the case of muscular or skeletal pain, family doctors are not usually as well trained.

Find me as needed for correct answers.