Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I have a pineal cyst. But was told that it doesn't account

Customer Question
for the headache that has...
I have a pineal cyst. But was told that it doesn't account for the headache that has lasted for the last 2 months and counting, or my other symptoms. I would like to know if a pineal cyst can be fatal?
JA: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?
Customer: Episodic??
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Memory loss, nausea, loss for words (something that's never happened before)
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medical
8/2/2016
Doctor: Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD) replied 1 year ago
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with experience in treating all neurological and all other medical conditions including the concerns of pineal cyst you have mentioned here, and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

First I will ask few questions so that I can gather additional information related to your health concerns;

1) How big is the pineal cyst you are having?

2) When was this got diagnosed (how long ago)?

3) Did they see anything else on the brain scan, or only the pineal cyst?

Best regards,

Neuro Doctor

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I was diagnosed with a 3X5 mm pineal cyst, small vessel ischaemic disease and chronic sinusitis from the MRI that was done on 29-JUN-16
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
But the neurologist I had at that time said that her 25 years of experience told her that pineal cysts are not symptomatic. I just think she didn't want to look at the films.

Okay I see. Appreciate all these information.

Few additional questions;

I see that you have small vessel ischemic disease too, how old are you? Do you have blood pressure, diabetes, cholesterol etc? Do you smoke?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am a 53 year old smoker with high cholesterol and I'm prediabetic.

Okay I see. I appreciate all these further information. I have few more questions;

Please describe your headache, is it constant or intermittent, does light and/or sound bother you during headache? Is the headache pulsatile (throbbing), or squeezing like, or pressure like, or any other types? Any diagnosis of the headache given like migraine or tension headache, or any other types by your neurologist?

What treatments are you trying now, what have you tried so far?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am both light and sound sensitive, and it kind of feels like the top of my head is going to come off. Also I am nauseous and this headache has lasted for approximately one and a half months.

Okay I see, I appreciate this information, is the headache constant, or intermittent (comes & go type)?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have tried Topiramate, ibuprofen, Rosemary oil and nothing helps. It is a constant pain.

Okay I see. I appreciate you so much for all these additional information! I am typing the answer now and I will post my answer here as soon as it is ready

Okay I am ready, I am posting my answer here;

A pineal cyst generally does not cause headaches, but rarely it can cause headaches and other symptoms too

Pineal cysts most often do not grow in size, and remain at the same size so they are most often not dangerous

Pineal cysts are not considered fatal

Rarely pineal cysts may grow and if that happens then it may require some kind of surgical intervention to remove the cyst

Regarding small vessel ischemic disease can produce the various symptoms you are having including memory loss, loss of words etc. The treatment for ischemic small vessel disease of the brain includes control of blood pressure, blood sugar, cholesterol etc (you seem to have high cholesterol & prediabetes, so these need to be controlled), and stopping smoking, and daily exercises, eating healthy diet like Mediterranean diet etc.

You may also try medications like Aricept or Namenda etc which can help with improving your memory and other cognitive dysfunctions you are having

And regarding the headache you have mentioned; this headache is unrelated to your pineal cyst. This has components of some tension headache along with some migraine features too. You may try stronger headache meds like Lortab or Vicodin. Meds like Amitriptyline or Gabapentin too can help for this type of headache

And coming back to the pineal cyst, these cysts are not considered as fatal, and I can strongly reassure you in this regard. 3 x 5 mm cyst is definitely small and unlikely causing your symptoms, and this sized cyst should never be fatal too. You need follow up MRI of the brain once in 6 months to a year or so, to make sure the cyst is not growing, if cyst grows then it has to be surgically treated. However the good news is most of the pineal cysts remain of the same size and are never fatal

Please let me know if you have any further questions or if you want further clarification and we can discuss this further.

Best regards,

Neuro Doctor

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Has anything on my MRI been fatal?

No, not at all fatal, I can fully reassure you in this regard.

Please let me know if you have any further questions or if you want further clarification and we can discuss this further. And if you feel you have received the answer to your question please rate me to credit for the time and effort put by me in answering your question.

Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)