khagihara
khagihara, Doctor
Experience:  Trained in the multiple medical fields for many years.
20084961

Sick after hair coloring. Could it be hair dye poisoning?

Customer Question

I have been ill for 5 weeks immediately following my hair being colored which may be a coincidence. I have lost a stone in weight, have low blood pressure and constant diarrhea. I am wondering if I have hair dye poisoning as docs cannot find anything wrong. I have been feeling light headed and have stopped my regular BP tables.
Category: Medical
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

How old are you? Are you a male or a female? How tall are you? How much do you weight? Does anything make diarrhea better or worse? Is it consistent? Is it getting worse? Any other symptoms? For example, abdominal pain, fever, rash, joint pain. Are you aware of anything else which might have triggered it? Any medical problems? Any surgeries? Any medications including over-the-counter pills and herbs? Any family medical history? What tests and imaging studies did you have so far?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
72 female 5'5" now weigh 8 stone 13lb. Immodium stops diarrhea for 24 hours. These are only symptoms except lack of appetite. Major surgery 10 months ago to remove large ovarian tumor which was benign and hysterectomy.
Was on 3 tablets for high BP now BP average 117 67 with no tablets. Tests for Addisons silent MI colonic ctc and stool tests all negative. Take a satin and calcium.
Family history thyroid mines ok
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

Do you have abdominal pain? fever? Did you have a blood test for Celiac disease? Did you have colonoscopy to have some samples taken? Did you have CT or MRI for abdomen?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No pain or fever no test for celiac. A ctc blown up with air no colonoscopy because of last year's operation
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

You should have a blood test for celiac disease. Also you should have colonoscopy to have some random samples taken so that microscopic colitis is excluded.