How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DrRussMD Your Own Question
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 64970
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
DrRussMD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My father who lives overseas has Diabetes Type 2 and his

Customer Question

My father who lives overseas has Diabetes Type 2 and his kidneys are leaking proteins. He's already taking insulin injections daily. I wanted to see who can I consult to see if there's anything here in the US that may help him.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.


I am a double board certified US doctor.

I will be happy to answer this question. Use reply to communicate with me.

He needs to see a nephrologist.

The treatment in this situation is in two parts

a. ACE inhibitor medications. These slow the progression of the renal failure.

b. Low protein diet/vegetable protein only diet. This can slow and even reverse some of the damage and the diabetes.

He would also need to have this monitored by both the nephrologist and a dietitian.

There is no magic bullet for this, or instant "cure."

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. Also, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent (5)—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, just use reply and come back. I am here

Expert:  Nadim Al-Mubarak replied 1 year ago.


  • The above advise is valid if we can confirm that your dad's issue is related to his diabetes, which is possible but might not be
  • Just because your dad has diabetes, it does not necessery mean the protein in his urine is related. The amount of the protein leakage in the urine needs to be estimated and other causes of proteinuria need to be considered and treated. In most of these ACE inhibitors are not helpful.
  • It is critical to nail down the culprit of the proteinuria in order to design an effective treatment plan

Best wishes

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.


Leaking protein in the kidneys in a diabetic is almost always from the diabetes.

It is Helped with a low protein diet and ACE inhibitors.

A nephrologist would confirm this.