Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

I am having problems with constipation. Back in April I

Customer Question

I am having problems with constipation. Back in April I believe I got a mild case of food poisoning, including about a week of diarrhea. In mid to late May I had a colonoscopy, which included a very thorough cleaning of my bowels. Since that time I have been fighting constipation almost daily. I have been taking benefiber 6 teaspoons daily and getting fiber in my diet including prunes daily. I have started eating 2 Activia yogurt daily just this week. In the past I would have occasional problems, but never like this. It has been a daily struggle. What can I do to correct this problem.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 11 months ago.

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Can i ask do you have any other medical conditions or are on any medications? Did the colonoscopy show any abnormal findings?

Since you seem to be offline, ill leave a response here which we can discuss later.

Now constipation of this sort is usually due to an underlying cause, it is possible that you could have developed a condition which is causing the constipation like hemorrhoids which can develop over the course of two months, if this is the case then it is possible that constipation is due to hemorrhoids. Moving on another possible cause of these symptoms could be IBS-C which stands for irritable bowel syndrome of the constipation variety, it would explain the possible diarrhea which you had back in april, that could have been due to irritable bowel syndrome. Now if IBS is the cause then the first thing is to exclude other causes, a nomal colonoscopy would have ruled this out. Now in most cases of IBS a specialized diet should be able to solve the problem, now even if you dont have IBS then this diet would help with simple constipation as well, Here is a link which will help you design a diet to get control of the constipation,

http://www.webmd.com/ibs/diet-solution-ibs

Now apart from changing the diet, try using metamucil which i have found to be more helpful in some patients when compared to benefiber. In addition if this is not working, you can always try using stool softeners which can soften up the stool enough for it to be passed out easily. Try using colace which would work better in most cases. If that doesnt work you can move onto laxatives which help in moving your intestines, these include drugs like miralax, milk of magnesia, magnesium citrate.

Another thing which you can try is glycerine suppositries which can be placed inside the rectum and this will also stimulate your bowel as well as soften the stool. Now all of these medications are available OTC and you can try them in the order i have listed above. If they dont work then you would need to visit your doctor for a full physical and examination. It is possible that you may need prescription medications like amitiza and linzess. In chronic cases your doctor may also prescribe biofeedback training for strengthening your pelvic muscles which can help alleviate constipation in many patients.

Do you have any more questions? Im open to any other queries which you might have, we can discuss this until you are satisfied.

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Customer: replied 11 months ago.