How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Phil, MD Your Own Question
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 55770
Experience:  Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Phil, MD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have an uncomfortable pressure in my right side below my

Customer Question

I have an uncomfortable pressure in my right side below my rib cage and back pain
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.


Thanks for coming.

I am a double board certified US doctor of 20 years clinical experience and can helop you with this.l

this can be gallstones.

With back pain is fairly typical.

This can become a more serious problem, and I would get examined now.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. Also, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent (5)—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, just use reply and come back. I am here

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had this back pain about 8 months ago and it went away until it returned around the first of June. The sensation in my side and the back pain both subside almost immediately when I lie down. I also had a hysterectomy in feb. I just went back last week and found I had granulation. Dr is doing the silver nitrate for that. I'm just at my wits end and the pressure in my side feels almost like a baby pushing from the inside.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.


Spinal disc problem.

Both can cause this and can come and go.

I would get an MRI: they can look at both areas at the same time.

please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent (5)—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, just use reply and come back. I am here

Expert:  Nadim Al-Mubarak replied 1 year ago.

Hi there

I have a different answer for you

  • You most likely have an acute abdominal issue that needs to be evaluated in the Emergency Room today. It is very unlikely to be a disk issue. Gallbladder, Kidney, liver and intestine etc are very likely
  • Based on a detailed history, physical, and the initial blood tests, the ER doctor will determine what kind of test you need, MRI is not the besgt test here.
  • You should not sit on this too long

Best wishes

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so I went to the ER yesterday. I think my back pain is degenerative disc but I have a kind of numb feeling that feels like pushing a fist into my hip bone and also have a pain deeper inside. The ran a CT scan and checked liver and pancreatic enzymes. Checked for kidney stones. Found nothing. No inflammation. I'm hurting worse today that ever. I just don't know what else it could be. I should also mention I had a hysterectomy in February and just went back for that last week and dr discovered I had granulation and treated it in his office. Have to recheck it Monday. He said that can cause some weird things to happen pain wise. Do you have any opinions?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have had a desk job for 25 years and I truly feel like that's my back problem. But I've had 2 ultrasounds on my stomach and side and kidney. All that was found was some small cysts on my ovary and a small cyst on my kidney. The first ultrasound was last year when my back issue flared the first time and the second was 2 weeks ago. My good friend is a traveling ultrasound tech. He did one at his house on me. And was very thorough. He saw nothing to be alarmed at either.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The hysterectomy took all but my ovaries. I forgot to tell you that part.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.


CT is not good for imaging the spine.

This is the first expert. Dr. Thomas.

Always find me for fast, safe and correct answers.

As I told you, you need an MRI.

This will show disc and nerve problems.

It can also show abdominal scar tissue.

In fact, CT does not.

Please click a positive rating.

I give fast and correct answers, so find me by request and insist on me in the future.

Additional information: I suggest you see an MD of physical medicine and rehabilitation.

This doctor would have ordered the MRI.

Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for this reply

No one yet has attempted to gather any more information

The most important thing to ask is what triggers it?

what makes your pain worse?