Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Wosening nocturia mostly. every qne to two hours gh volume

Customer Question

wosening nocturia mostly. every qne to two hours high volume 20 to 30 oz on averagex 2 wks. im a 64yoa male . my pmhx controlled htn on diovan 80/12.5, reflux on protonix 40mgx 4 years with some barretcells on egd,asthma mostly controlled on zolair rarely use albuterol,irritable bowel,dxed with semi reider syndrome 20years ago with only polyarthritis, uretitiss/p acute gastroenteritis in domenican republick.Uveitis occured approx weeks. 3 times in the last10 years txed with steroid dropsand amelgiorated after a few weeks.there has only been arthritis sxs in b/l knees txed with advil on occasion when it becomes a 6/10.i did have b/l shoulder replacements at Penn in the last 10 years 3 years apart for severe joint oa and no rotator tears sucessfuly.im currently feel my uveitis is starting to flare up and wil see the opthomologist next monday.I am 5 foot 8 inches 175lb highly muscled for my age . I have always trained with ,weights and sports while younger and now i do weighs and the eliptical 5 to 6 days daily. my diet is most fish chicken veg, salads rarely meat nothing processed fruit approx 100 oz water no soda .family hx prostate ca brother at age of 62 and father with bph. I take co q 10,singulair testosterone gel dailyand latest psa in early july was 2.1
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Worsening nocturia of high volume can be from conditions that increase the volume of urine overall, and the most common of these is diabetes. Diabetes will usually cause increased urine flow during the day, as well, but people may not notice it as readily during the day and at night when it is waking them from sleep.

Nocturia of high volume also can be related to any condition that causes fluid retention. During th day, the retained fluid will tend to be pulled into the lower extremities because of gravity. When sleeping and lying down, there is no longer the pull of gravity, so the fluid will distribute throughout the body, increasing blood flow to the kidneys and increasing the production of urine. There are many conditions that cause fluid retention, and the most common is from heart dysfunction or heart failure, but also can be related to liver or kidney disease. Since you have a history of hypertension, there is an increased risk of heart disease and kidney dysfunction.

It would require a proper evaluation to determine the specific cause. There are over the counter devices to check blood sugar, and while it is usually not worth buying one if you have not yet been diagnosed with diabetes, if you have a family member or friend with diabetes, you might be able to check your blood sugar before seeing your doctor.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.