Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I was diagnosed with a kidney stone 5 days ago. 2 days ago I

Customer Question

I was diagnosed with a kidney stone 5 days ago. 2 days ago I had a stent inserted after breaking stone into smaller pieces. I am drinking lots of water, but not peeing much. My hands and feet and belly are very swollen. Is this common ?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

It is common to have swelling if there is kidney dysfunction related to the kidney stones or due to any obstruction of the drainage of the kidneys, such as would be treated with the stent. As the kidney stones are passed and the drainage improves with the stent, then the kidneys function should improve, and the volume of urine should increase and the swelling should decrease.

It may take a few days for the kidneys function to improve and the swelling to decrease, but if you have not noticed any improvement in urine volume or swelling over the next couple days, it would be appropriate to contact your doctor, who can assess the status of the stone fragments and assure that there is adequate drainage.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is anyone there

Yes, I am here. I posted an answer several minutes ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.

You are most welcome.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.