How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Chaithanya Your Own Question
Dr Chaithanya
Dr Chaithanya, General Physician, Medical Researcher, All medical and health questions answered.
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 798
Experience:  General Physician, Family medicine, Internal medicine, all age groups.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr Chaithanya is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a 50 yr. old female who is in good health. i have had a

Customer Question

i am a 50 yr. old female who is in good health. i have had a rectal itch for over a year and have seen my local proctolgist for this several times. he basically says its like a bad diaper rash and gave me topical creams to use. he told me to add more fiber to my diet and stay away from chocolate and caffeine. In the last week i have developed a clear fluid that appears to be leaking from my rectum. This causes major irritation!! My proctologist can't see me till the end of august! What should I do ? i do have a past history of perirectal abcess, but that has been 7 -8 years ago. any suggestions would be appreciated!!
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  DIEGO BONILLA replied 1 year ago.


This is Dr. Bonilla.

I understand your concerns. The lesion you described is likely to be a cyst or a new abscess. Try to keep the area dry, warm compress and you can use stool-softening laxatives. Sitz baths every 2-4 hours can help with the symptoms. Once you see your doctor he can determine the cause and start treatment. Let me know if you have any other questions. Please rate my answer.


Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.


You need a scope.

Itch without rash can be from hidden malignancy, for esample.

Leakage out of the rectum can be from many problems.

Colonoscopy is due at age 50 , especially with any such symptoms.

Find me anytime for correct and safe answers.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.


The above will not let me edit, so I will add here:

Perirectal abscess would be obvious on inspection.

Cyst...don't know why you would have a cyst.

Hemorrhoids could do it, but you can't be sure of that without exam.

I would move up your appointment, report this list of possibilities to your doctor.

See a GI doctor if your proctologist is too busy.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. Also, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent (5)—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, just use reply and come back. I am here

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

Lidocaine cream, or preparation H cream would probably be effective for tiching.

Expert:  Nadim Al-Mubarak replied 1 year ago.

Hi there

  • There are numerous possibilities for your problem. It can, and it needs to be, narrowed down soon. There is not place for speculation here.
  • Given the fluid leakage, I would advise you to have it looked at an Urgent Care Center very soon, today if possible. Abscess is still a possibility. Direct exam would be extremely helpful here.
  • This is obviously a local issue, and you do not need colonoscopy just for this problem

Best wishes

Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

The other expert has opted out.

I agree that this is something that should be checked before the end of August. It does not need to be today, but it should be soon.

Please let us know if any further information would be helpful.

Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.

Can I help?

Expert:  Dr Chaithanya replied 1 year ago.


Other experts opted out.

I'm Dr Chaithanya attending you

Now leaking fluid is not something you can wait

Don't apply any anesthetic gel.

If severe itching take loratidinr 10mg and zyrtec 10mg one in mng and one in the night

I'm between her seen by a family doc or go to ER

Let them confirm if it is access or cyst or fistula

Hope this helps

Please leave a positive rating at the top right corner of the page, so that I'm compensated for the answer

Any bonus I appreciate

Best Regards

Expert:  Dr Chaithanya replied 1 year ago.


Do you have further questions please ask or request to leave a posiitve rating

Expert:  DIEGO BONILLA replied 1 year ago.


Do you have any other questions. Please leave a positive rating.


Expert:  Dr Chaithanya replied 1 year ago.

Sometimes, a prophylactic antibiotic also helps if you get a very late appointment to see the specialist, so let me know your status, so that I can advise accordingly. Kindly leave a positive rating.