How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. David Your Own Question
Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 46674
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. David is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

At 76 my husband has a very low hemoglobin as in 9 he has

Customer Question

at 76 my husband has a very low hemoglobin as in 9 he has had 1 transfusion and is
now in iron by mouth 3 times daily. a year and a half ago he had a double bypass and
valve replacement.he is also a diabetic.he is very short of breath on exertion.
in the past i have heard that a valve replacement can cause a drop in hemoglobin buy
i don't know the physiology behind this,can be give me some ideas as to a course of
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

usually valve replacement surgery itself can cause a bit a of bleeding and blood loss

but it shouldn't cause continued blood loss

he needs to see a hematologist and get more blood testing of iron levels, ferritin levels, TIBC, ferritin saturation to see what is causing his anemia.

he needs his stools checked for blood to see if he is loosing blood and iron from his stools and GI system

he may need a bone marrow biopsy to check his bone marrow to make sure his bone marrow is making red blood cells properly.

a hematologist can help with all of these tests.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

Thanks for using