Dr.Anil
Dr.Anil, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.
4713694

We are on day 6 of 7 of our holiday and my 4.5 year old son,

Customer Question

Hello, we are on day 6 of 7 of our holiday and my 4.5 year old son, was diving in and out of the pool yesterday. We washed his ear before bed and I remember thinking 'oh darn, I think wanted went into his right ear'. He went to bed an hour later then hours later whilst asleep he woke up crying of an ear ache. His right ear is hurting and he has a swollen gland. We gave him calpol but it had continued. This morning he continues to cry and say his ear is hurting so we have me another 7.5ml of calpol and the pain has subsided.
My first question;
Was this infection brought on by the diving, or when I actually thought water went into that ear?
Second question, We are due to fly home tomorrow and flying with an ear infection is really painful. What do you recommend we do?
Pharmarcy or hospital?
Ear drops? Natural remedy? , anti biotics?
Thank you
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.Anil replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I’d be happy to assist you.

I understand your concern.

Well as you describe,his ear infection can occur from diving.

The ear tubes present behind the nose gets blocked sometime and result in negative middle ear pressure & ear blockade and this is what is happening in his case.

You should try some self care measures

Give him Children's Motrin alternately with Calpol now and just a half hour before takeoffs or landings if you know your child has ear pain when flying.

Hydrate him with plenty of fluids while air travel.

Chew gum or suck on hard candy.

Yawn frequently.

You can give him OTC Xylometazoline nasal spray 0.05 %, 2 puffs Thrice daily.

Steam inhalation with menthol twice daily.

Also he should not sleep during travel.

Warm compresses on swollen gland can be helpful.

If possible see a doctor at nearby emergency room before air journey.

Let me know if you have any further query so we can discuss it thoroughly in every aspect.
It’s my pleasure to continue this conversation until you satisfy.
May I help you further?
Please to not forget a positive rating and avoid poor/bad rating.
Bonus is highly appreciated.
Waiting for your response.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you.So I still need to go to the emergency room. I was hoping to avoid this by purchasing some products from the chemist.The product below, will this make it better?You can give him OTC Xylometazoline nasal spray 0.05 %, 2 puffs Thrice daily.We are leaving tomorrow morning so we don't even have a full day to implement the below.Steam inhalation with menthol twice daily.
Expert:  Dr.Anil replied 1 year ago.

You can give him Motrin,Calpol and Xylometazoline nasal spray start from now if you can purchase these products from chemist.

You can give him steam inhalation also at your room with hot water in a big bowl.

Sit him in your lap and cover it with towel and take deep breath of steam.

I suggest you to emergency room if these measures wouldn't provide relief however the time is short and you buy all these products and even chewing gum or candy for air travel.

If his pain is unbearable and hearing loss then visit ER now.

Please let me know if you have any questions, otherwise please click on POSITIVE RATING ! Thank you!
It's request to avoid poor/bad rating.
We are here to help you until you satisfy.
Best Wishes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay thank you.Am I to buy these three separate products?You can give him 1) Motrin,
2) Calpol and3) Xylometazoline nasal spray start from now if you can purchase these products from chemist.Will he likely need antibiotics?
I mean is this the only cure?Thanks
Expert:  Dr.Anil replied 1 year ago.

Yes,these are separate medicines.

All these three products provide symptomatic relief.

If he gets fever,persistent pain then antibiotics can be given and it is prescribed by a doctor in person.

Hope this helps.

Use reply to let me know if you have further queries.