How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. D. Love Your Own Question
Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 18663
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. D. Love is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have - I was finishing up a prescription of Valium from my

Customer Question

Hey Pearl,
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: I have - I was finishing up a prescription of Valium from my primary care MD, and started seeing a psychiatrist who switched me onto Klonopin. The pharmacist refused to fill my prescription, and I got a pretty startling/off-putting call from my psychiatrist who said he needed to "investigate." I'm considering just stopping treatment with my psychiatrist because, as a healthcare professional myself, the accusations were rude and unacceptable. I'd rather keep my strong relationship with my primary care doctor, ask to stay on Valium, and avoid working with a psychiatrist who isn't going to treat me compassionately. Thoughts?
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Aside from high cholesterol and a history of migraine headaches, nothing else.
JA: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?
Customer: I usually get about one a week - no nausea. I used to get aura, but that stopped a few years ago.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

It is unclear from your description what was the issue for the Pharmacist, so it is difficult to make any significant comment.

It sounds like you told the Psychiatrist that you were taking the Valium that was prescribed by your primary care doctor, correct?

Was there any attempt to fill both the Valium and the Klonopin?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi -Thanks for the quick reply. To clarify, I already had a prescription for Valium and then my psychiatrist prescribed Klonopin. I didn't even try to fill them remotely close to one another - it's been almost a month since the Valium rx was filled.I'm upset at my psychiatrist and feel like I'm being accused of shopping around.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

From your description, it does sound like the response of the Psychiatrist is inappropriate.

It is expected that a Pharmacist would flag any case in which a patient is getting two different benzodiazepines from two different doctors, but if this were to happen in your case, the usual next step is that when the Pharmacist communicates with the Psychiatrist, the Psychiatrist simply states that the use of Valium from your primary care physician was known, and that the treatment plan is to change to the Klonopin. And as long as you do not try to fill both prescriptions, there would typically no longer be an issue

So, it is still baffling why there is still an issue, and it reflects an issue more with the Psychiatrist than the Pharmacist.

At this point, though, it is probably not as simple as deciding to just continue care with your primary care physician as though nothing has changed, because the Pharmacist concerns needs to be addressed. If you do not want to continue with the Psychiatrist, it would be better to contact your primary care physician immediately, rather than waiting for your next scheduled appointment. You can communicate the sequence of events and the discussions with the Pharmacist and Psychiatrist, and your primary care physician can decide on the treatment plan including whether to continue the Valium or change to Klonopin under his/her prescription, and then he/she can communicate with the Pharmacist to address the concerns.

If you feel that you still need to see a Psychiatrist, but prefer to see a different Psychiatrist, it would be better to get resolution of the current issue before adding another doctor into the situation, so you can either wait until the investigation is complete or you can still use your primary care physician to address the current issue, as above, and then seek care with a second Psychiatrist.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is SO helpful - thank you so much for your response. I definitely agree and will use this as a guiding point for how I go about next steps. Thank you!
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

You are most welcome. I hope that you are able to get quick resolution to the issue.

Please remember to provide a positive rating so that I am credited for assisting you.