How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Muneeb Ali Your Own Question
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 7081
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Muneeb Ali is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Have had more centered pain and told I have oversized

Customer Question

have had more centered pain and told I have oversized gallbladder. Two very painful
attacks in two weeks. Like a hot poker going in below breast bone and lots of
constipation. No results on CT scan
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 1 year ago.


Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Now the pain which you are describing can certainly be due to the gallbladder, if the gallbladder is inflammed it can cause a severe pain which radiates to the shoulder joint as well as the back. This can also cause vomiting, nausea etc in this case. This would be diagnosed best on the basis of an abdominal USG and also a HIDA scan if there is an element of gallbladder dysfunction.

Now while the CT scan is normal that should rule out pancreatitis as a cause for the symptoms, however it does not rule out an ulcer in the stomach which can cause this sort of pain. This would cause pain, burning, nausea, vomiting etc. The diagnosis would have to be made with the help of an endoscopy to look at the inside of the stomach. It is possible that there are multiple ulcers which can be causing the pain here. in some cases there can be a bacterial infection of teh stomach which is known as H.Pyroli which would need to be treated with the help of antibiotics.

I think the next best step here is to get an endoscopy done if it has not been already done, one more possibility is that you could have a gastrin secreting benign tumor on the pancreas which can cause ulcers in the stomach. this wouild be diagnosed with the help of a simple serum gastrin level.

I would suggest that an abdominal ultrasound be done to look at the gallbladder more closely followed by an endoscopy.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 1 year ago.

Would you to know anything else? If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.