Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

Older pickanese is constipated what do I do

Customer Question

older pickanese is constipated what do I do
Category: Medical
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

When helping your dog with constipation you can consider the following :

A dog who is having constipation problems can be helped through using any of the following remedies below. #4 usually produces results quickest..
In case you find your dog is not being helped by the following please consult a vet in case there is an internal blockage.

1.Feeding dogs dry dog food is good. It has more bulk than canned dog food.
2. Water & bran (up to 5 tablespoons daily added to food may help) .
3. You can try Commercial preparations containing psylluim (such as Metamucil) they are designed for humans and are sold in drug stores.
Metamucil dosage: 1/2 tsp. twice daily for small pets and about 2 tsps. twice a day to large dogs.Try mixing it with a small portion of canned food.
4.Mix 1/4 tsp.for a small dog, 1 tablespoon for med-large and up to 2 tbsp.for very large dog of canned pumpkin(NOT PUMPKIN PIE MIX) with your dogs pet food for several days until the constipation has ended.
5.Milk will sometimes relieve constipation Give 1/8 cup twice a day to small dogs and 1/2 cup twice a day to larger dogs.
6.Mineral oil ( 1 tbsp per 10 lbs.) will sometimes relieve more severe constipation.
Do not use this all of the time as with mineral oil will interfere with the absorbtion of oil-soluable vitamins.
Mineral oil should only be put in food and not forced orally.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end and then clicking submit.

Kindest regards