Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

Im finding it hard to swallow solids, just blended up moist

Customer Question

Hi there,
Im finding it hard to swallow solids, just blended up moist soupy food.It feels like something gets stuck in my throat every time I try to swallow solids. But when I went on a 2 hr plane ride to visit the doctor for an endoscopy and a neurologist.... my ears popped and when I landed a few hours later I was eating normally again. But now hat Im back home 2 months later its happening all over again. Endoscopy result was all good...neurologist told me it was all stress related.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with premium services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

How long has this been going on?

Does it happen everytime you eat solids of any type?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it sort of started in feb 2016 I just started eating less and less until may when I was on blended watery food.
Yes. I have to bend everything I eat into a watery meal.
No, medical problems, My GP has put me on Endep ..1 tablet before bed
I used to drink alchohol every nite up until nov of last year and when I stopped all these things started happening to me.Plus I have two young children aged 4 and5. who are pretty full on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The neurologist that I saw said that it a stress related...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I came back from my doctors appointments a few weeks ago, I was eating properly for about a month and by the 1st of july I was back on blended food again. I am thinking of going for a trip back to Sydney just to get my ears popped.

It sounds like you have spent quite some time trying to get to the bottom of what is going on. I am sure that your previous doctors have thought of, and ruled out, all of the common and easily treatable conditions that could be causing your issues. Would you say this is a correct statement?

Well I think it might be time for you to take a very difficult, and bold, step to see if you can get some relief.

At this point I think the best thing for you to do would be to gather up copies of all your medical records and travel to a large University Teaching hospital. At an institution like that you could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.

I know that it is going to take significant effort on your part, but I believe that going to one of the "Medical Mecca's" is your best chance to – finally -- get to the bottom of what is going on.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned the top rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS