Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have an edema problem, particularly in right leg. Was

Customer Question

I have an edema problem, particularly in right leg. Was given an angiogram, both legs, to improve circulation, assist diuretics and help heal an edema wound. However, leg is swollen with edema, as veins were harvested for a 1991 triple bypass, causing venous flow restriction, swelling and pain.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

There are limited options to help relieve swelling related to venous insufficiency. If not already done, it is appropriate to consider evaluation for other conditions that may exacerbate the venous insufficiency, such as heart dysfunction or thyroid disease. If another condition is present, then treatment oriented towards that condition would be appropriate.

For the venous insufficiency, if the diuretics and elevation of the leg has not helped, there are some other interventions that can be tried. It may help to use compression stockings, such as TED stockings. Regular exercise using the leg muscles can help massage the veins and improve venous return. There also is a supplement that may help, called horse chestnut.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.