How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Family Physician Your Own Question
Family Physician
Family Physician, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 2592
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Family Physician is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been diagnosed with blocked salivary gland duct by

Customer Question

I have been diagnosed with blocked salivary gland duct by dentist & xrays. I cant get surgery until Aug. 1st(2+ weeks away)..Meanwhile, I have a bad canker sore next to this
that the dentist says the only cure is having a surgeon remove the blockage. That will be
done by Aug. 1st (2+ weeks away). This sore is very painful. Is there any treatment that
would get rid of the sore? My MD tried Prednisone for a week to no avail. I tried to get the
dentist to give me Debacterol, but he says that wont cure the blockage. X rays said it is
not cancerous. Any suggestions, other than Oragel, that might get rid of this sore??
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

most cancer sores are caused by oral herpes viral infection.

usually improving your sleep, eating healthier, more fruits and vegetables, a multivitamin, and drinking more water can help your immune system heal up the canker sore.

you can also ask your doctor for antiviral medications like acyclovir which can help kill virus in your body and shorten the length of oral viral herpes canker sore

let me know if you have questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No thanks.,Mine,is not a herpes virus sore.
Its a canker,like sore, caused,by the adjacent blocked salivary gland duct. I had
already done a week,of Prednisone that didnt work. I asked a dentist for Debacterol. He refused that, and would,only refer to a dental surgeon. I asked you if there was a drug to get rid of
the sore, which is very,painful.,I didnt see
an answer to that question.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

I see.

ask your doctor for sucralfate (Carafate) to see if it can help cover the area and help heal up the canker sore

colchicine could help as well

you can read more there.