How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nadim Al-Mubarak Your Own Question
Nadim Al-Mubarak
Nadim Al-Mubarak, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 379
Experience:  MD at University Hospital Case Medical Center
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Nadim Al-Mubarak is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife has vitamin B12 level that exceeds the maxim level

Customer Question

Hi, I'm Gregory. My wife has vitamin B12 level that exceeds the maxim level by 3 times. Antinuclear antibodies blood test was positive. We are in Buffalo Grove, IL and looking for an immunologist and hepatologist. Can you recommend a specialist, please?
JA: In general, how has your health been lately? How long have you been dealing with the issue?
Customer: She found this a year ago, visited rheumatologist and endocrinologist with no concern on their side. A biochemist states liver is in trouble and attention should be paid promptly.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No, the rest is normal.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.


These are two different types of doctors.

An internist covers both.

An immunologist would not deal with positive ana in most instances.

How do you know there is liver disease?

Expert:  Nadim Al-Mubarak replied 1 year ago.

Hi there

  • Your best source for this kind of referral is your family doctor. He/She, very knowledgable with the health care in your area, will direct you to the proper specialist after completing the initial testing
  • From what you stated, you will need a Rheumatologist to start with as you might have a rheumatology issue and the liver might be just part of it. If she/he thinks the liver is involved, you will subsequently be referred to a Hepatologist. I would not waste resources going to different specialist at the same time for what appears to be the same problem
  • You can check out the major hospital systems in your area. They will have a "Referral Line" or referral access through their Website
  • Immunologist will not be helpful in your case. This is not an immunology problem

Best wishes