Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I live in california and for the past couple of months of

Customer Question
and on the right side...
I live in california and for the past couple of months of and on the right side of my tongue has felt swollen. I am 26 years old and a non smoker. I do have really bad allergies right now and when I take a Zyrtec it seems to help the problem a bit. The right side is the side i sleep on and I feel like i should also tell you i have really bad GRED. My doctor says everything looks normal with no signs of swelling or anything but it sometimes feels swollen. Just trying to get a second opionon becuase it has become kind of annoying. Any ideas and how to fix this...could it be related to my allergies or something else.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medical
7/10/2016
Doctor: Dr Uzair, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor

Hi and thanks for the query.

This is most likely related to your allergies and the because of the dependency.

Sometimes, vitamin deficiency can also result in tongue swelling and GERD is also a factor since, acid trickles up in the night to irritate the throat and oral mucosa including the tongue.

This is definitely not something serious since, those present with persistent swelling, ulceration and pain.

I would suggest that in order to counter this you should have the GERD treated and sleep with a head up tilt.

Have you vitamin B levels checked, this can be done by a blood test. Once, the underlying cause is alleviated. The tongue swelling should subside.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Please do leave a positive rating for the service by clicking on the stars on top of the screen.

Best wishes.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is it normal for it to only feel like its swollen on one side?

Tongue swelling is not normal to begin with but one sidedness can be attributed to being the dependent area since you mentioned that the swelling occurs on the side you sleep on.

Best wishes.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Any recommendations to help treat it

The best way to alleviate such a problem is to evaluate the underlying cause. Since, the tongue swelling is not the problem, it is a symptom of an underlying problem, the symptom will only subside once the underlying problem has been addressed. Please see your physician and have the tests and evaluations recommended above so that a cause can be identified.

Best wishes.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
In your expert opinion what do you think it is?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My doctor says everything looks normal and doesnt look swollen either thats why I am asking you. You dont think this could be oral cancer do you? considering that it has been annoying off and on for the past couple of weeks

No, not at all, oral cancers present with ulceration, erythema and pain. This is not oral cancer.

Do not worry about cancer here. Rest assured.

Please do leave a positive rating for the service, by clicking on the stars on top of the screen.

Regards.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I just want to get ride of the feeling that the tongue is swollen. My doctor says everything looks fine. The tongue doesn't look swollen at all. That's why I'm curious on why it's been feeling like this off and on for weeks now.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
last question could and enlagred lmphy node be causing this problem

No enlarged lymph node does not present like this.

Please do not forget to leave a positive rating by clicking on stars on top right corner.

Wish you good health

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
After looking at my tongue I noticed on the back sides of the tongue there are bumps are these supposed to be there?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have attached a picture the best I could. This is the side I sleep on. They look more irritated then the left side
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor