Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Does bacitracin ointment interact with the following

Greetings, Does bacitracin ointment interact with...
Greetings,
Does bacitracin ointment interact with the following medications I'm taking:
-pantaprazole
-Trazodone
-Allegra
- tobramycin/Dexamethasone ophthalmic
I used bactrim for sinus infection for 10 days and had the last dose yesterday.
I'm planning to use bacitracin on a sore in my nose. How should I apply it? Thanks
7/7/2016
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

This is Dr. David

bacitracin antibiotic ointment will not interact with your medications.

bacitracin should be used once or twice a day depending on the severity of the infection, for no more than 7 days.

did a doctor prescribe this to you?

how long have you had a sore on your nose?

have you had a sore cultured to know what type of infection is there?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

I had the wound when doctor prescribed me the antibiotic(bactrim) He did a culture and it was negative for staph. Then I started using Rhonicort for my allergies and it started to burn after using 3 days at the side of the wound. Was bactrim be expected to take care of the sore? What could be the problem? Is it ok to try bacitracin? Thanks so much for your help!!!

yes, bactrim was used to treat the sore

you have to follow up on the culture to see what it showed

and if the infection was resistant to the bactrim.

you should call up your doctor to get the results of the skin culture there.

they should have done a sensitivity and resistance panel on the wound. this will tell what antibiotic the wound is sensitive to.

how old are you?

have you had a lot of sun exposure before?

some wounds on the nose can be due to early skin cancers like basal cell or squamous cell skin cancers. these would need a biopsy for diagnosis and antibiotic therapy would not be enough for treatment.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

The culture says: Coagulase-negative staphylococci . What does it mean?

I'm 39.

I have an appointment with my doctor in 2 weeks. Can it wait by then? Thanks

Staph epidermidis is the most prevalent species, accounting for approximately 60-70% of all coagulase-negative Staphylococci on the skin.

http://www.antimicrobe.org/b234.asp

this bacteria on the skin may not be the problem

you can try the bacitracin

but you should follow up with your doctor in 1-2 weeks.

ask if you need to have a biopsy.

see if the bacitracin helps

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician