Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

For about a week off and on I've had a pain in my left lower

Customer Question
For about a week off...
For about a week off and on I've had a pain in my left lower leg, that starts on the side of the knee (where I can feel a bone) the pain goes down outer portion of my calf/leg. It's not red, warm or swollen. Just painful off and on and more annoying than anything...I've had lower leg ultrasounds in the leg before that were all normal. Not on birth control, was on the mini pill for awhile (Progesterone only)Should I worry about a blood clot? What kind of pain is this likely to be
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medical
7/6/2016
Doctor: Nadim Al-Mubarak, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Nadim Al-Mubarak

Greetings

How long were these Ultra-suonds? were they before this leg pain started ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
They were years ago. I had a bad phobia aboutique developing one and had like 10 ultrasounds and many d-dimer tests done all negative. But of course I feel the pain and start to get anxiety about it... it's not a new pain for me, just one I haven't felt in awhile. Should I be worried?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can also feel my pulse in my foot as well
  • I would still worry about leg clot (DVT which is a venous disease). This will not be PAD (Arterial disease)
  • DVT does not have "specific symptoms or pain". DVT should be considered in any unexplained leg pain like this one.
  • BCP is a predisposing factor, but DVT can develop with no obvious explanation
  • I would advise you to have it checked today. It can initially be screened with a blood test (D-Dimer). If this is negative, then it is excluded. If positive, then you need an Ultra-sound of the leg. You may arrange for it through your family doctor's office

If this asnwers your question, please complete the rating above. It's how we get credit for the service. Best wishes

An old Utra-sound does not exclude current DVT

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No I know that. I'm just saying since I've had this pain before and have had many years negative ultrasounds I just thought logically it's likely not a blood clot. Especially since I have no redness or swelling
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The pain isn't in my calf more like the outer portion of my leg, the outside running down
  • I see what you mean. But, the prior history does not exclude an ongoing thromboembolic event. It might make less likely, but DVT still needs to be excluded
  • Unfortunately, the type of pain does not help confirming or excluding DVT
  • Given the potential complications, this will need to be considered.
  • But, again, a negative Di-Dimer is adequate to rule it out
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay also the pain hasn't been consistent. It does come and go. I have a ent appointment today I will try and go to the clinic after that. But like I said I have had this before many times. I feel like the doctors will think I'm a bit of a hypochondriac as I've just been there for something else

Your point is well taken. Your prior history does make it less likely but it does not exclude it. Having seen this hundreds of times over the years, I can tell you that your symptoms should not be discounted. You could be surprised. Type of pain does not matter. A responsible physician should not discount your complaint, it's more reason to look into it more carefully and make sure that nothing has been missed.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will try and get seen today. My drs have typically told me it would be very painful, and swollen. Guess everyone is different. I live in a small town so it's the same drs, and I do have anxiety issues. Just working on my anxiety and not blowing things out of porportion. I have no real risk factors for a blood clot. But I will try and get seen.

NOT EXACTLY. DVT is most commonly NOT associated with any swelling or significant pain. In fact, severe pain is VERY RARE.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yeah many doctors I've talked to have said the exact opposite of that. My friend had one and she said it was extremely painful.

That is very rare. Arterial clot, on the other hand, is very painful but that is different

Nadim Al-Mubarak
Nadim Al-Mubarak
Nadim Al-Mubarak, Doctor