How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Subbanna MD Your Own Question
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 5364
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr Subbanna MD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds


Customer Question

Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.Anil replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I’d be happy to assist you.
Myself Doctor Anil- a board certified medical consultant with more than 30 years of experience in medical field.
It's my pleasure.

Please explain your health related question.

What are your symptoms?

Since how long have you been suffering from?

Any medical history?
Are you taking any medications?


Waiting for your response.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Got parasites in Spain. 2009. Came back to America. Went for tests. Doctor's found nothing. Fish dish. 2016. Present day. Legs giving out. 7 year infection
Expert:  Dr.Anil replied 1 year ago.


Can you please explain your symptoms in detail?

Are you taking any medications?

Which investigations have you undergone so far?


Waiting for your response.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fatigue. Numnis in groun area blurred vision. No solid stool. Natural medication s which are not curing symptoms. Capsule endopis. All kinds of stool tests.
Expert:  Dr.Anil replied 1 year ago.


I understand your concern.

I'm opting out so other expert 'll provide you answer to your health issue.

Please wait for other expert's opinion.

Thanks for your patience.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thankyou. Help is needed asap. Rob
Expert:  Dr Subbanna MD replied 1 year ago.

Hi Rob, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with experience in treating all neurological and other medical conditions and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

What kind of tests have you had? Please name all the tests you have had so far, and their results too. Thanks!

Expert:  Dr Subbanna MD replied 1 year ago.

Hi Rob, have you received my question posted above? I hope you are not encountering any technical glitches to access this site properly.

Please take your time (if you cannot visit this site now) and follow up with me when you can.

Best Regards!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Lots of tests in 2010 and 2011. Have not gone for tests recently. All kinds of tests related to intentesial track. No ansers Systems serious.
Expert:  Dr Subbanna MD replied 1 year ago.

Thank you Rob so much for all these additional information! I see that you have been extensively investigated so far, however since I do not have a list of the actual tests that have been already conducted so far so what I will do is provide you with some information below and if you see any of this is not yet done or not addressed by your doctors then you may please ask them to address it now asap.

First of all have you had blood Vitamin B12, Folate, Vitamin D, Vitamin E etc checked?

Fish eating may cause an infection with parasite called as Diphyllobothrium Latum. This parasite can cause deficiency of vitamin B12, and chronic vitamin b 12 deficiency can cause the various types of gastrointestinal & neurological symptoms you are having. It can cause myelopathy (damage to the spinal cord) and can cause the symptoms like legs giving out etc, also the other symptoms you have mentioned. If you had no vit B12 test then you need it now asap. Deficiency of this vitamin can be treated easily and once vit b12 level becomes normal you should see improvement in your symptoms.

Other vitamin deficiencies that can cause similar symptoms include Folate, Vitamin D, Vitamin E deficiency etc and blood testing can easily diagnose it. If you have deficiency then treating with appropriate vitamin should help you.

The parasite diphyllobothrium latum itself can be treated with Praziquantel or Niclosamide, which helps in eradicating this parasite from your body.

There is another condition called as HAM (HTLV virus associated Myelopathy) which is injury to the spinal cord through a virus called as HTLV-1. Please see this is not HIV, this is a different virus. This can be diagnosed through a spinal tap and collecting CSF (Cerebro Spinal Fluid) which can show viral titer – if you have this disease. This condition is treated with one or more of the following – Steroids,

Zidovudine, Interferon etc

The CSF can also reveal if you have any other chronic infection or inflammatory conditions that may be causing your symptoms.

Certain kinds of neuropathies (peripheral nerve damage), for example CIDP (Chronic Inflammatory Demyelinating Polyneuropathy) too can cause your symptoms, so if not tested already with a nerve & muscle test called as EMG/Nerve conduction test then you need this test too. This condition can be treated with steroids or immunoglobulins, or plasmapheresis etc.

Whipple disease is another infection which is acquired through poor hygienic eating and it can affect the gastrointestinal tract as well as nervous system and present with chronic diarrhea, difficulty with walking, fatigue, numbness, blurring of vision etc. This disease is usually diagnosed with intestinal biopsy and staining and culture or PCR testing and this infection can be treated with antibiotics.

If not already done then you may also ask your Drs for an MRI of the brain & spinal cord too - which can show any lesions in the brain or spinal cord causing your symptoms.

If you see any of the above has not already been addressed by your doctors then please bring it to their notice so that they can arrange for tests to diagnosis and then treated appropriately.

Please let me know if you have any further questions; and if you feel you have received the answer to your question please rate me so that I can receive credit for the time and effort put by me in answering your question.

Best regards,

Expert:  Dr Subbanna MD replied 1 year ago.

Hi Rob, if you have any further questions or if you need any further clarification please let me know. Best Regards!

Related Medical Questions