Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

Can damaged nerves in the arm be serious?

Customer Question

Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

As per our previous discussion, the nerves in your arm arent damaged but rather they are being compressed either at the level of the neck or at the level of the shoulder due to your skiing accident. Compression of nerves would cause numbness, tingling and even shapr stabbing pain in the whole of the arm and even the neck if the problem lies at the level of your neck. But they are NOT dangerous (it would not cause a fatal issue), it simply means that you need physiotherapy, medication like lyrica or neurontin, steroids to reduce inflammation or even surgery in SOME cases to relieve the compression. But by and large it is NOT serious or dangerous as it can be treated very easily.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no matter how painful
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This isn't serious?
If it is related to the nerves, so that wouldnt be serious. If painful then you would need evaluation with NCS, xrays of the neck, MRI of the neck and if needed MRI of the shoulder.Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How confident are you that it's just this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Considering it's been getting a lot worse

Very confident I would say 99% sure, the 1% is due to me not being able to examine you. That is why I would recommend that you see your doctor to get an examination done. Since it is getting worse that is even more reason to see your doctor to get a final diagnosis by getting the above tests done. But it is not the heart and if it is the nerves even then it wont cause any serious damage provided you get it treated in time.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this explains the worsening chest pressure and weakening of the arms almost certainly?

Weaknening yes, the chest pressure would be explained by anxiety.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not anxious and it feels like something is inside my chest
You just need to get the following tests done,EKGEchocardiographyXray neckMRI neckChest xrayNCS and EMG These tests would conclusively determine what is the actual cause of your symptoms. The chest pressure which you are referring to can also be muscular in nature or even costochondritis which is inflammation of the cartilage of the ribs. Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still confident this isn't heart related

Yes im still confident.

Go to your doctor, we are NOT a substitute for a visit to your doctors office. I have a feeling that you may not want to visit his office but that would not be the right decision, go see him, get the tests done and then get started on the requisite treatment. I am still confident that this wont be the heart but you do need evaluation and a diagnosis.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
well four doctors told me it isn't heart related but my symptoms are worsening lol

Then i think you should trust the opinion of four doctors, if the heart is ruled out then they can look into the other causes which me and my colleagues have mentioned on justanswer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay so even though my symptoms seem somewhat worse I'm making this seem worse than it is?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When pressing down on the middle of my chest it feels weird
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This might sound weird but I feel something in my throat when pushing down in the center of my chest

You seem to be more worried, you do have the symptoms and they DO need evaluation but the fact is, they wont get better without you getting the tests done, no matter how much we talk about them here. If the pain worsens on pressing down on the chest, thats another indication that it is NOT the heart and symptoms appearing in the throat again indicate a similar thing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I have to go to the doctor to reassure me?

At this point in time, YES because no matter how much advice we give you online, your fears are not allayed maybe once you get the tests done and have a final diagnosis in hand and get treatment for that disease, you will feel better.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm worrying about my heart too much and likely have a healthy heart?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have the symptoms of what?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Answer these questions and I'll stop talking

Yes you are likely to have a healthy heart

the symptoms which you describe can be due to cervical spine issues, nerve compressions, costochondritis or muscular damage/strain.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you're still
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
99% sure my heart is fine even though I have stabbing pains in my arm and chest

Yes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just woke up and feel chest heat and my heart pounding
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If fine why is this happening

go to the ER and get evaluated. You are not having a heart attack but can be having arrhythmias or valvular heart problems which i mentioned in my previous conversation with you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not in a ton of pain though. If serious wouldn't I be in TONS of pain? You told me you didn't believe my heart was damaged and was fine. Is this still not the case?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Seriously...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You told me you're 99 percent sure

It is still the case, you heart isnt damaged, arrhythmias can occur at any time and wouldnt show up on tests in most cases. And im still sure this isnt a heart attack. Irregular heart beats can be due to other underlying issues like electrolyte imbalances, stress, dehydration and even infections, that doesnt mean that your heart is damaged.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
why pay hundreds if not thousands for the ER if I'm fine...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry I will only go if this is life threatening which is why I'm talking to you

Simply because they can determine if you have electrolyte abnormalities or other issues which caused it in the first place and prevent it from happening again. The fact remains i cannot examine you, i can make a judgement on what your symptoms sound like and any advice i give you cannot take the place of a actual clinical examination. This holds true for ANY online advice that you might get.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
well as mentioned I've talked to four doctors who listened to my heart and said I'm fine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could this pain be related to a pinched nerve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been examined but haven't got an EKG
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have doctors listened to me while coughing and things like that
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They told me things seemed normal
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also had "normal" blood tests in the past

One of your previous conversations mentioned that you have had an EKG? If you havent gotten one yet then do so, i was basing my opinion on the fact that you had an EKG done which was normal. An EKG should be done which if normal should be followed by an echocardiogram, listening to the heart is well and good but an actual image is needed to rule out valvular heart diseases. Secondly arrhythmias may be missed on EKG and echocardiogram and in that case a 24 hour holter monitor would be needed to diagnose the problem. Its unlikely that you are having ischemic heart disease(heart attack) but the other two are possible.

you have also mentioned in another conversation that you have anxiety and panic disorder, if so they can explain ALL of your symptoms including chest pressure, pain in the arm, numbness etc and can even wake you up from sleep with the symptoms. This would explain a lot actually, but i would STILL get the EKG done to comprehensively rule out the other conditions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
See this is where I'm frustrated
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Valvular heart diseases sounds like a heart issue and my doctors are saying my heart seems fine. If you have a difference in opinion I NEED for you to tell me
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also can't arrythmia be due to anxiety

frustrated because you cannot determine if its anxiety or the heart? I can understand your frustration, panic and anxiety mimics heart disease pretty closely. The only way to determine if there is actually a problem with the valves or arrhythmias is an echocardiogram. Arrhythmias can occur because of stress and anxiety

Simply put if i was treating you, even if you had a normal physical exam and even if i knew that it was in all likelihood going come back normal, i would run the echocardiogram and EKG and if needed a 24 hour holter monitor to rule out the heart once and for all. This is because once these tests are normal, there can be NO doubt remaining at all about the heart. Once that is done, start you on medication for the anxiety and adjust that accordingly.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my symptoms are much more likely to be anxiety even with pain than it is heart issues

Yes more likely to be anxiety related given your history and your age but i would run the tests nonetheless as i said to put this doubt to rest once and for all.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this is all due to my skiing accident?

Possibly yes. Secondly while the anxiety can explain all the symptoms, anxiety is diagnosed in the end when all other conditions are ruled out. This is the protocol in all hospitals and clinics, once we rule out everything like nerve issues etc then anxiety is considered to be the cause.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what can I do to relieve these symptoms?

If you have a prescription for benzodiazepines like klonopin or ativan, use that. If you dont then breathing exercises may be helpful, meditation techniques can help as well.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I meant about the pain and the fact that my left arm has became numb pretty much
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what exercises would you do

For the pain use OTC painkillers like motrin or aleve. The numbness cant be treated at home. Deep breathing exercises, meaning close your eyes and empty your mind, take deep breaths while only counting to five, hold it in for a couple of seconds and exhale. Do this several times.

If numbness is accompanied by weakness, meaning that you cant lift your arm or hold anything in your hand then go to urgent care.

One last thing, why dont you want to get the tests which i mentioned earlier done? Regarding the possible nerve problems etc?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you wouldn't worry just to make sure?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
even with the symptoms I've mentioned such as jaw pressure, chest pain, chest pressure, chest heat, arm pain, arm pressure, and neck pain I'm likely fine

I would get the tests regardless as i have said repeatedly, i would get the tests to determine the actual cause of the symptoms, if they are negative ill know for sure that these symptoms are due to anxiety. Also please remember to leave a positive rating, our conversation has continued for almost a day without you rating me.