Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

Will olive leaf extract interfere with an antibiotic

Customer Question

will olive leaf extract interfere with an antibiotic
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 1 year ago.

Can you tell me which antibiotic are you taking?

But generally speaking antibiotics dont have an interaction with olive leaf extract .Infact olive leaf extract has antimicrobial properties of its own and it can help in fighting infections. But if you have been prescribed antibiotics for an infection, they should be continued at all costs. But it would be better to space out their usage by atleast 12 hours, meaning you should take the antibiotics and olive leaf extract atleast 12 hours apart.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

But generally speaking antibiotics dont have an interaction with olive leaf extract .Infact olive leaf extract has antimicrobial properties of its own and it can help in fighting infections. But if you have been prescribed antibiotics for an infection, they should be continued at all costs. But it would be better to space out their usage by atleast 12 hours, meaning you should take the antibiotics and olive leaf extract atleast 12 hours apart. The reason being that some studies indicate that olive leaf extract may interfere with the action of certain groups of antibiotics however that isnt proven. But it would be better to take them at different times to be on the safe side.

Do you have any more questions?

Would you to know anything else? If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.