Nadim Al-Mubarak
Nadim Al-Mubarak, Doctor
Experience:  MD at University Hospital Case Medical Center
16855155

I have a sharp pain from the middle of my back, laying down

Customer Question

i have a sharp pain from the middle of my back
JA: Have you had any recent injuries? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: laying down seems to make it worse
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medical
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

Hello

Most likely a spine [disc] or back muscle problem.

However, be aware that certain other cause of pain can radiate to the back:

Early pneumonia [you would develop cough]

Organ disease, gallbladder for example.

Great vessel disease: aortic dissection which is very serious.

If this is new pain, it needs an exam.

I would suggest urgent care now.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. Also, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/

Expert:  Nadim Al-Mubarak replied 1 year ago.

Greetings

• The above is just a list that say "every organ round the chest could be the source of the pain". Well .. !!!
  • The most common source of this pain is muscle strain and cramps which can be treated with anti-inflammatory painkiller and muscle relaxant (OTC: Advil and Muscle Ease)
  • IF no response within 1-2 days, then you need to be checked by your family doctor. You have not provided any information that warrant a visit to UC, though it's not unreasonable if you wish to have a direct exam and testing
  • If the pain is severe, tearing in character, may involve the front of the chest, or have other symptms along with that such as fever, chills, cough, arm weakness, ANY of these symptoms etc. , then you have to go to the ER

Best wishes