Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have been taking provera well I have taken about 11

Customer Question

Hi
JA: Hi. How can we be of help?
Customer: I have been taking provera well I have taken about 11 tablets and stopped as I was getting some side effects so I was told by the doctor to stop taking them it's only about a week later where have notice that I've got some hair loss
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Am not taking anything other iron tablets although my hair was falling out it wasn't obvious
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: There's nothing else I have had a misscarriage as well about 3 months back but I've notice the hair loss just after I stopped taking the provera tablets
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Hair loss can occur as a side effect of taking Provera, although most women do not develop hair loss from the Provera. It actually can contribute to two types of hair loss. The most common is called androgenetic alopecia, which is a long term for hair loss that is due to a genetic predisposition and also has a component of hormonal activity. Changes in hormone levels also can be one of the possible triggers for hair loss caused by telogen effluvium, in which the hair growth cycle is interrupted.

It is not surprising that the hair loss is not noticed until after the drug was stopped, because the effect on hair can be delayed from the time of any condition that affects hair growth.

In either condition, the hair loss will typically recover after stopping the Provera, although it may take longer for the telogen effluvium.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How long till after the side effects stop? As I have only taken 11 tablets would I still have to see my doctor in regards ***** ***** hair loss?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will it also effect the chances of getting pregnant?

It will vary. Hair grows relatively slowly, which is why hair loss may not be noticeable until a week after stopping the drug. So, even the women in whom the hair growth resumes relatively quickly, it would usually not be noticeable for a couple weeks. On the other hand, the telogen effluvium may take longer to recover, as I said above, and commonly may take months to recovery.

Since the drug was stopped, there is usually no need to see your doctor for the hair loss. However, it may be necessary to discuss whether another medicine may be indicated to replace the Provera.

The hair loss will not affect the chances of getting pregnant. The underlying hormonal issues for which the Provera was prescribed may affect fertility, but not the side effect to the Provera.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there's nothing really I can do to help with the hair loss? So there shouldn't really be any effect of me getting pregnant from taking the provera tablets.. sorry I just want to make it clear for myself as it is really bothering/stressing me out

Not since the drug was stopped. If hormones need to be continued for a specific underlying medical condition, then the doctor may start a different medicine called spironolactone to try to control the hair loos. But since the Provera was stopped, this would typically not be done.

In chronic cases of hair loss from any condition, minoxidil would be an another consideration, but since it may take 3 months for minoxidil to work, it is usually not used when the hair loss has only been present for the time period that you have experienced thus far.

The taking of the Provera would not affect your fertility. However, the underlying condition that was treated with the Provera may affect fertility.

Please let me know if I can provide any further information.

If I have answered all your questions, please remember to provide a positive rating so that I am credited for assisting you.