Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution
55099014

I am taking Mupirocin after getting a positive diagnosis on

Customer Question

I am taking Mupirocin after getting a positive diagnosis on a swab for MRSA. (I was scheduled to have a colonoscopy and they discovered the virus.) They took the swab about two weeks ago. Side note: I had originally contracted MRSA in the hospital two years ago when I went in for colon resection surgery.
I have been using the Mupirocin ointment in my nose, two times a day, for four days so far. I am supposed to take it for seven days. (Until now, I had increased the dose to three times a day since I read that is considered the usual dose, and I want to get MRSA out of my nose.)
The reason I'm writing is that I just experienced diarrhea, and I'm afraid of what I've been reading about CDiff. I don't have a fever and I still have mild appetite, but I'm really concerned that I may have an infection in my intestine from the Mupirocin. Of course, I will only take it twice a day from now on. Plus, I was putting it far up my nose with a Q-Tip since that is how they did the swab test. I will administer it with a gloved pinky from now on, as well. I also have a sore throat and I need to swallow a lot.
I know my doctor is out of the office until Tuesday, and I probably won't have much luck speaking to a nurse until then, either. Should I wait and see if it gets worse? Is there anything I can do to protect against CDiff? I take a Pearl probiotic, but I probably need more. I would appreciate any advice. Thank you.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for this question

You can't get c diff from mupirocin.

This is not possible.

You should be okay

You can get c diff anyways but not from this

I would get checked if it continues

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave a positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. Phil" in the medicine, cardiology or pharmacy categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-irondoc/

Thanks for using justanswer.com

Thanks for this question

Please don't forget a positive rating. I appreciate it. :)

if you have more questions, just reply