How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DrRussMD Your Own Question
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 64674
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
DrRussMD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My girlfriend is a professional dancer and regularly does

Customer Question

My girlfriend is a professional dancer and regularly does yoga and works out. She has been complaining about a a deep soreness in the muscle around her shoulder blade area for many months, which comes and goes. Recently, she had soreness in her shoulder area and woke up the next morning experiencing the following symptoms:
A dull, heavy soreness from the top of the shoulder all the way down her left arm.
Weakness in her left arm.
She describes the pain as a constant, dull heaviness and complains of muscle tightness when icing.
She has a high threshold for muscle soreness pain and experiences mild issues every a now and then due to her profession. This has caused her pain to the point of crying and not being able to sit still.
We went to a 24-hour walk in on Sunday where they opined that muscle inflammation resulting from some aggravation during work out or yoga was the cause and prescribed her Vicodin and Diclofenac Sodium gel. Since Sunday, she feels slightly better each day but is still experiencing pain to the point of needing to apply both the gel and take vicodin.
What type of specialist should I take her to in order to be properly evaluated?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Medical
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She has full range of motion in the arm.
Expert:  Dr.Anil replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I’d be happy to assist you.

Well as you describe,possibly she may suffer from rotator cuff injury and nerve impingement.

She should see an Orthopedist for a clinical examination and undergo X-ray/MRI of shoulder joint.

She should apply cool compresses with ice packs 5-10 minutes on shoulder.

Also take OTC Naproxen.

Gentle massage with muscle relaxant ointment can be helpful.

If pain is severe then she should visit ER for prompt management.

Let me know if you have any further query so we can discuss it thoroughly in every aspect.
Waiting for your response.
It’s my pleasure to continue this conversation until you satisfy.

Expert:  Dr.Anil replied 1 year ago.

May I help you further?
Waiting for your response.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.


The symptoms are more likely involving nerve compression.

She should not have weakness in the arm.

This is more or an emergency.

Take here to the ER and ask for imaging at this point.l

I would not wait longer.

She might have involovement of the cervical spine.

I am a double board certified US doctor. [American Board of Medical examiners].

Find me daily by request

For Dr. Thomas only.

Please click a positive rating on this post, or respond directly to me.