Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

3 years ago I had surgery to repair an inguinal hernia. A

Customer Question

3 years ago I had surgery to repair an inguinal hernia. A gauze was put in. The hernia was on the right side but the surgeon covered both left and right sides. After the surgery I recovered reasonably well to the point where 6 to 8 weeks later I could only feel a slight sensation at the surgery site. This slight sensation never went away, but I was not concerned because I had been told that I may feel "twinges" for up to a year and a half after surgery. About a year and a half after the surgery I started to increase the amount of running training I was doing, up to about 20km semi regularly plus shorter runs in between. After 10 months of this training the sensation at the surgery site had changed to slightly more uncomfortable, until within the space of about 10 days it got very painful to run (approximately 2 years and 4 months after surgery) and also sneezing and coughing became painful. This is the state I am in now. My question is do I need another operation ? And should the gauze be taken out and another method used ?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 1 year ago.

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Well from what you are describing it is possible that you may need another surgery to fix the hernia. Sometimes the mesh repair can become undone in a minority of the patients which would need to be repaired or a new mesh would need to be placed here. The pain which is worsening in coughing can indicate that you could have an obstructed hernia in which there is a portion of tissue trapped in the hernial opening. Now if the mesh method failed then direct hernial repair can be attempted but usually the mesh repair is a better option with less chances of failure. It is possible that mesh repair may be attempted again however with reinforcement of the surrounding muscles.

But first it HAS to be determined whether the initial repair has failed or not, it is possible that the pain which you are experiencing is due to another underlying issue. Such as kidney stones which can cause pain which radiates down into the groin. It is also possible that this is a severe muscle spasm in the area which would need to be treated with muscle relaxants.

The best thing to do now would be to first get another clinical examination done, this should be followed be followed by an ultrasound and if needed an MRI to look at the actual situation inside the abdomen. I would suggest that you visit your doctor to get this done ASAP, pain which worsens on coughing etc should not be ignored and evaluated at the earliest.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you to know anything else? If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.