How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Muneeb Ali Your Own Question
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 6335
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Muneeb Ali is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a lump about the size of a baseball at the bottom

Customer Question

i have a lump about the size of a baseball at the bottom right side of my ribs it is tender when i touch it
JA: How long have you had the lump? Is it hard or soft?
Customer: hard just noticed it today
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: dont think so
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 1 year ago.


Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Now this lumps can be a number of things. The first one which comes to mind is that this could be arising from the bone itself and if that is the case then it might be a benign tumor of the bone. These are rare tumors which may occur. The first thing to do here would be to get a xray of the ribs done which may be followed by a MRI of the ribcage.

Now apart from this this can be a bone cyst which can cause this sort of a problem. Again an xray followed by a MRI of the area would be necessary to diagnose the problem.

lastly, this can also be an infection of the bone itself, which can cause this sort of lump. One last thing to consider here is that we should know whether the lump is atttached to the bone or is arising from the tissue. If it is attached to the bone , then it wont move from side to side on it any direction and if it isnt then it should be movable. If it is mobile, then a lipoma may be considered as well, which is a benign tumor of the fatty tissue. This would be removed if it causing your pain.

Now these are the lumps which can arise from the bone, if the lump arises from the soft tissue then it is likely to be an infection again. Especially if there is overlying redness in the area, This would need to be treated with antibiotics and in case there is pus inside the lump then it would have to be drained.

Now regardless of the cause you DO need to have this evaluated and get treated, i think it is likely to be an infection of the soft tissue and you may need antibiotics. In the meantime start using OYTC painkillers like motrin or aleve for the pain. But do get this evaluated.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,