Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine
56178413

I do a regular fast blood sugar test every 6 months through

Customer Question

I do a regular fast blood sugar test every 6 months through a home device for 3 consecutive days .
1st & 2 nd day reading was 75 & 79
3rd day i did my workout then i did the test & it showed 93
Is it normal that workingout like cardio & weight lift can elevate it a bit . I know that they are in the normal range thanks God but just need to know .
Regards
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Subbanna MD replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with experience in treating all neurological and other medical conditions and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

After exercise the blood sugar level generally falls down further, or rarely in some people it may raise little bit too. Although normally we expect the sugar level to fall down after exercises but the level can normally raises sometimes, and this happens due to reflex adrenergic mechanism. During exercise there is increased adrenergic out put (hormones like adrenaline & glucocorticoid steroids level raises to meet the body’s demand for glucose & nutrients), and these hormones try to raise the blood sugar levels. Exercise & insulin try to reduce blood sugar level whereas adrenaline & steroids try to increase blood sugar level, if there is more robust adrenergic & steroid response during exercises then the blood sugar level can raise, but as long as the level is within the normal range, it is considered as a normal physiologic response – as in your case. In otherwords as long as the blood sugar level is within normal limit, this is fine, because this is just part of the physiological mechanism, and this is not considered as pathological.

Please let me know if you have any further questions; and if you feel you have received the answer to your question please rate me so that I can receive credit for the time and effort put by me in answering your question.

Best regards,

Customer/p>
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I forgot to mention that i just did the test less than 10 min after my workout .

Okay I see, but this is still a normal physiological response. This is seen in normal people.

Hi, any further questions? please let me know! Best regards!